Printer table

Roger Tulk

I wanted a table for the printer in my mancave. Since I bought the wood, the Memsahib has installed a plastic shelving unit, but the printer has a shelf above it which makes copying and changing ink cartridges awkward. N E way, I have got it to where it just needs a little routing, a little sanding, and a little varnishing, and it is ready to go.

I decided to go as simple as possible. I bought a slab of Peruvian Walnut, and cut four pieces: two legs, a shelf, and a top.

I thought I had taken more pictures, but this is the glue up of the legs and shelf. The frame is upside down in the pic, and the top is just sitting loose.

Ptable01.jpg

This is the completed glue up. I cut stopped dadoes in the top for the legs, and glued everythig together with Elmer's Probond. I don't think I'll need any nails or screws.

Ptable02.jpg

With a little luck I'll have it finshed tomorrow. ;)

OH, this is a nice dark wood. It should be OK with clear varathane as a finish, right?

Looking good, Roger. :thumb: And I agree with you...don't see why it would need any metal fasteners. It should be plenty stout as-is.

That looks like it will do the job, Roger. For a man cave just slap a little Old Spice on it! :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Every Chirstmas, fathers day, birthday, when I was a kid, I bought my father old spice. The poor guy must of had 50 bottles hidden somewhere,

Looks good Roger. Never heard pf peruvian walnut before but it sure looks pretty !!!

Movin' 'er along

This is the table with the first coat of semi-gloss Varathane on it. The wood has a lot of character. This is Peruvian walnut, from darkest Peru, just like Paddington Bear. It is very dense, dark and heavy, but surprisingly easy to work with. It came up darker than I expected, but when I brought it home, before I started sawing and sanding, the surface of the wood wa a lot darker than shows in the previous pics. I am very happy with the tone of the wood now, and when it gets the final coats on it, it should be a jewel. I think so, anyway. :D

Ptable04.jpgPtable05.jpg

I bought a litre (Quart) of Varathane, figuring that would do all my projects for the year. While applying it to the table, I held the can in my hand and dipped gaily with the brush. At some point I lost my grip on the can, and spilled $25 worth of Varathane onto my work table. I think I've saved enough to do tomorrow morning's coat, but tomorrow night is going to require a new, small can.