Wiring question!

Okay folks, I need help. "We" are adding a home office to existing space to free up a bedroom downstairs in case the girl we are adopting EVER comes home from Haiti. I'm adding a 6'x10' closet in the garage for file cabinets and storage. I need to add a switch, light and plug in. I can jump off an existing plug in (only 4 on the 15 amp breaker that do not get used much).

My first step is to pull the wire to the different boxes. Here is what I think I need to do, I do not want the switch to control the plug, just the light.

1. wire from exisiting plug to switch box.
2. Wire from switch box to light fixture.
3. wire from light fixture to plug.

Is that it?? Or do I need another wire from the switch to the plug?

Thanks.

Sounds about right, but run 3 way wire (14/3 with ground, which has black, white, red, bare copper wires) from the switch box to the light box, use the red wire for the light switch, use the black wire as a carrier to feed the new plug (non-switched).

Maybe I'm not following the steps correctly, but it seems if you wire from the light to the plug it will be switched with the light unless you use the 14-3 that Darren mentioned. I think (again, maybe I don't understand) I would change it to this:
Wire from existing to new plug
wire from new lug to switch
wire from switch to light.
That would eliminate the need for the 14-3 (just use 14-2) and keep the plug energized.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not following the steps correctly, but it seems if you wire from the light to the plug it will be switched with the light unless you use the 14-3 that Darren mentioned. I think (again, maybe I don't understand) I would change it to this:
Wire from existing to new plug
wire from new lug to switch
wire from switch to light.
That would eliminate the need for the 14-3 (just use 14-2) and keep the plug energized.

That's the way I'd do it.. It's the simplest - and easiest - way to do it.