Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High Chair Project

High Chair Project

I finally got started adding the drawings into sketchup. Still need to do some refining, but looking like the original.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	highchair1.PNG 
Views:	69 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	83491 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	highchair3.PNG 
Views:	57 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	83493 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	highchair2.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	83492

The tops of the legs, stretchers, and chair back pieces will have tapers to round tenons, just haven't figured out how to draw those in sketchup yet.

Pics of the original:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11843...753?banner=pwa
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 12-28-2014 at 01:53 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Oh man thats cool, your design takes me back to when my youngest was a tot. We had one like that made in plastic. Its one of the most enjoyable periods of having kids, when they sit at the table and eat with family.
    I would add one thing, a metal bar shaped like a handle on front edge with a few colored small balls mounted to it. Makes for great distraction and counting and color teaching.
    Saw one once that also folded on half and could go down on floor. Cannot remember what happened to bottom half.Fun times ahead.
    Check this out its the closest to what i remember
    http://www.communityconsignment.ca/P...playtable.aspx

Makes for a tv dinner table for kid.

Interestingly in searching for this pic i did not see any high chairs with the good old rail and balls wonder what has caused this.....

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 06-24-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    cheers

Darren, that looks good.

Check your PMs.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Thanks guys, should be a fun project. Have the wood just need to refine the plans and measurements. Dave, thanks again for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Interestingly in searching for this pic i did not see any high chairs with the good old rail and balls wonder what has caused this.....
    Rob, check the safety recall sites, it's a wonder they haven't recalled cool whip lids and Tupperware as endangerment to kids.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ...it's a wonder they haven't recalled cool whip lids and Tupperware as endangerment to kids.
    In our family, we weren't allowed to play with Tupperware or other kitchen stuff, since they were not toys.

Instead, we got BB guns, compressed air-powered water rockets, lawn darts, and M-80s.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

And this project is finally getting its wings after some short delays. I cut out all of the stock tonight, enough for two chairs.

Name:	2014-10-09 17.30.41.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	86457

Still need to cut some thin strips to laminate for the table arms, looking like I'll need to cut about 70 or so pieces about 3/32" thick. So I'm thinking I'll make a jig for this task since I don't have an incra fence like Vaughn.

Thinking about making this one... http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...rippingjig.pdf
    Darren

Gotta love the extruded channels on an after market miter. I started to build the jig above, but then got an idea to use my miter gauge. I had a pack of inline skate bearings left from my cnc build, they come in handy from time to time.

Here's what I came up with, it just bolts on using 1/4-20 bolts, not pretty, but works pretty well.

Name:	2014-10-09 19.49.15.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	86458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-10-09 19.49.24.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	86459

You set the distance from the blade to the bearing for how thick you want your strips.

Name:	2014-10-09 19.55.11.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	86462

I slid the miter back and clamped it to the table, then

Name:	2014-10-09 19.49.33.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	86460

Then placed my piece between the fence and jig and slid the fence over and locked it down.

Name:	2014-10-09 19.53.09.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	86461

Repeat for each strip, only 60 more or so to do.

Name:	2014-10-09 20.05.33.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	86463
    Darren

That looks like it works pretty slick Darren.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

It is working pretty well and don't have such a thin piece stuck between the fence and blade. I need to spend some time tuning up my BS and perhaps I could do them on there using a similar jig, but currently the blade is wandering more than I would like.
    Darren

Brilliant solution, Darren. I don't think I'd bother even trying to do rip cuts like that on my bandsaw. It'll never produce as clean of rip cut as my tablesaw. with a good rip blade. If you tablesaw is set up right, those thin strips should be ready for glue and clamps immediately, with no further machining or sanding.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com