Just finished Sock Cubby #2

John Pollman

Last week my friend that owns a skateboarding pro shop called me because she needed a new display for their shop. They started selling funky socks about a year ago and it has taken off big time. They were running out of room to display them. They just had them hanging on hooks on slot wall. But that took up too much space. Here's what I came up with...

It's 52" wide x 82" high x 6" deep. It's 11x14 "cubbies" in size so it has 154 individual 4x5x6 compartments. I started it Tuesday morning at 9:30. The client came with his truck and picked it up at 5:30 on Thursday! He got it back to the shop and his wife LOVED IT. About 3:30 on Friday afternoon my phone rang and he said that they wanted another one exactly like it. He picked it up at about 7:00 tonight. I think I did pretty well for being a one man operation. :)

Oh yeah, it's all 1/2" & 1/4" Birch ply.

sock cubby1.jpgsock cubby2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good!

The cubbies are all half laps or dadoes on the sides? I'm asking because I built a vaguely similar cabinet for a friends game shop (for storing shoe boxes of magic the gathering cards - who knew!) and did dado joints which was a bit fussy to get setup exactly right.

You know, with cabinets like that a widower would not have to do laundry so often.

I can just see it now---One cabinet for shirts, another for shorts, another for pants and then in the winter you could add cabinets for all kinds of coats, scarves, and you name its.

A guy would only have to do laundry 2.37012987012987 times a year. Man, that's progress!

John, us old goats will remember you and your name will go down in fame.

Enjoy,
JimB

Hijack warning

You know, with cabinets like that a widower would not have to do laundry so often.

Jim, in the Goethe house in Frankfurt Germany, they had multiple cabinets like this just for linens. They only did laundry once or twice per year. If you hurry to your shop, you could get some cabinets made before you needed fresh laundry. :D

LinenPress1.JPG

If you want to see the rest of the furniture in that house, including at least two more linen cabinets, see www.plesums.com/travel/germany/goethe.html

Yep, they wanted to leave it unfinished. The 1/2" is the top, bottom, and all vertical pieces. The 1/4" is for the shelves and back. I used som3 1/4 x 1/2 poplar to trim out the edges of the 1/2".

Jim, in the Goethe house in Frankfurt Germany, they had multiple cabinets like this just for linens. They only did laundry once or twice per year. If you hurry to your shop, you could get some cabinets made before you needed fresh laundry. :D
l

Not at the rate I work.

Enjoy,
JimB

Did you notice the width of the floor boards? They look like they might be a food wide?

I wonder what is the purpose of the chest with the unusual drawer depth. The top drawer was the deepest and the bottom the shallowest with the drawers in-between graduated in size.

Last edited:

Did you notice the width of the floor boards? They look like they might be a food wide?

I wonder what is the purpose of the chest with the unusual drawer depth. The top drawer was the deepest and the bottom the shallowest with the drawers in-between graduated in size.

As I explore furniture in museums, especially in Europe, it is clear that the stone tablets had not come down from the mountain yet that declared the smallest drawer had to be on the top and the largest on the bottom. I have seen numerous cases where they didn't worry about that rule.

The interesting thing about that house and the floor boards is World War II. All the furniture was removed from the house and hidden "out in the country." Lucky, because the house was destroyed by bombs. But an architecture student had studied the house, and had detailed notes, which were used to precisely reconstruct the house, just as it was before the war. Now the question becomes "where did they find the lumber" to rebuild those floors (as a historical reconstruction, cost may not have been a big issue). The furniture was returned to exhibit positions, not living arrangements, so it has become a fantastic museum.

Nice cubbies John incredible timing.

Charlie you took some really good shots of the furniture in that house. Coule not come up with a favorite piece. If i had to choose it would be one of the tables, but thats a hard choice to make.

What did occur to me though is that someone way back must have had a decent appreciation for fine furniture. And that at a time when money was perhaps not as plentyful as it is today by comparative stamdards.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk