Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: didnt turn what I wanted to turn. learning experience. Warning.........see post

didnt turn what I wanted to turn. learning experience. Warning.........see post

WARNING: If you are a serious wood turner, do not go any further.
    This thread was not posted for humor.

So I figured, start gluing up all my 2 inch or more strips and I can turn bowls, little bowls, plates, whatever.
    So my first glueup, I wanted to turn a square bowl. I have no clue how to do it, watched a video of a similar thing, but figured, hey, its scraps, jump in.
    Made sure the block was all square, flat, didn't have a 2.5 inch forstner to chuck it up, so I used the faceplate.
    Starting turning bottom, realized too soon I went to far, and then I had chip offs of the ends, must have used a heavy hand, but in my defense, I was getting a lot of shaking on the lathe, gonna have to weigh it down. The shaking was making it difficult for me to keep the end cuts still and soft.
    anyway, I had to sand down the ends eventually to make them look even.
    cut a hole on the bottom to put into chuck, and turned some inside.
    Since I split an attempted plate recently, made it too thin, I decided Id just turn this shallow.
    I ended up with something that looks like a 1970s ashtray. Not what I wanted.
    thought about trimming off the edges and just turning a bowl out of it, but decided to put some oil on it, Im sure someone in my house will want it.
    Now Ill just glue up another blank.

Even though I really don't have a clue yet, this is so much fun.

Lathe gets a rest now, next week I must get going on the cabinets.
    \
    heres some proof I had good intentions.I might need a whole lot of practice.

IM thinking tomorrow Ill rechuck it and keep turning and see what shape I get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bowl 001.jpg   bowl 002.jpg   bowl 006.jpg   bowl 007.jpg   bowl 008.jpg  

bowl 013.jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 06-26-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

Well Allen, you certainly are jumping right into the deep end anyway

For a 1970's era ash tray its pretty sweet. Would also work nicely as a change tray.

I haven't attempted a aquare turning yet, so no advice but imho looks pretty decent as a first attempt.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Heck Allen that looks great compared to my first SQ bowl. I burnt mine before anyone could see it.

I'll second Ryan's comment. Square bowls are not easy at all. Especially with laminated blanks where there can be inconsistencies in the wood grain. But everything you turn is a learning experience, so just keep it up.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

elen likes it(shes the wifey), I was thinking about turning it some more tonight, she said I should leave it, she likes the shape, and work on another one.
    Human Test Dummy

I followed your advise and didn't go past the subject line.
    Knowing that...are you ever happy with what you turn? Let me know if I should look at your complete post.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    elen likes it(shes the wifey), I was thinking about turning it some more tonight, she said I should leave it, she likes the shape, and work on another one.
    take her advice allen and run right back to the shop.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

The thing about working on the lathe is that you can turn out a bad piece very quickly, then take that experience and apply it to the next piece. You can build up experience in a hurry.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Hey i am with Elen, call me crazy i like chunky. Looks like a great catch all for keys and change and other bits a pieces.
    Move on to next one.
    Not every turning needs to be thin as can be. Beauty is in the eye of the viewer.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

gonna go out in 3 minutes and chuck up a piece of 1.5-2 inch thick cherry and start again.

My son asked me about his cabinets yesterday, I told him as soon as I get the turning stuff out of my blood stream, cant seem to shake the desire to ruin more pieces.

the shop is full of cut to size birch plywood waiting for dados and shelf pin holes, and ofcourse, assembly.
    Human Test Dummy