didnt turn what I wanted to turn. learning experience. Warning.........see post

amazing just how bad of a turner I am, but I have so much fun I don't care.

Purchased an insert, today I started making my own handle for 1/2 inch stem tools/gouges

while unimpressive to turners, in a million years I never would have thought Id be making my own lathe tool handles. I really thought Id never even own a lathe.

(I think I questioned Bernie W over a year ago about a drill chuck for my lathe, today was the first time I used it for something)

Attachments

• handle 001.JPG
    handle 001.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Handles are handy indeed! Its a short step from here to hammer handles, awl handles, and other little gadgets like that which are super convenient to be able to just whip out when you need one.

For the first year or so after getting the lathe there was a lot of "start to make thing the hard way and then remember I have a lathe in the corner" and voila a couple minutes later there we are!

"While I may not be an experienced turner, his high quality tool is a great place for someone like me to start."

Amen, brother. If more rank amateurs started with quality tools, they would have easier success. And if they decided they didn't like it, they would have some worth selling to recoup some of their money. Buying junk tools because you are just beginning is counterproductive. Selling junk tools brings junk prices.

Carol,
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this, the tools don't make the turner, it learning how to use them that does.... one should buy the best tool his budget will allow without breaking the bank, but it far more important to learn the skills to use the tool, no matter its cost.

Allen,
You did good with the square bowl, they are had to do... keep practicing and learning..... the more you do, the better things will work as you want them to. I've been turning 12 or 13 years and figure by now I've almost got a tiny little bit of an arc in the learning curve.

I don't think we disagree, Chuck. I did not say buy the more expensive. I did say don't buy junk. In turning, buying tools that won't hold a decent edge dramatically affect the turning experience - and the quality of the turning. Once we have a sharp tool, we learn how enjoyable that experience can be. Especially if that sharpness remains for more than a few seconds. :)

Finally, Doug Thompson's tools are certainly not the most expensive out there, but they most certainly are among the very best.