This will be an interesting project...

Chuck Ellis

I have a JET 1442 that I've had a few problems with the Reeves unit.... a couple of weeks back I replaced the motor shaft pulleys since mine were not meshing correctly due to a broken keyway. The repair took me and my friend about 20 minutes... it took longer to get the keeper ring back on than anything... My friend has the proper tools, but we both could use new glasses and biggest problem was seeing the groove for the ring.. :rolleyes:

After we got it all done, the shift lever would only come back to about 900 rpms... we had to stop about then, David went home and I went in dinner and I didn't get back to the repair for a couple of days due to Dianne's rehab schedule and having to drive her 40 miles to the Rehab center and then running errands while we're out... she's not able to drive yet and hasn't in several years...

When I got back to the job, I started removing the spindle and discovered that somehow I had developed a burr on the spindle so that it would not slip through the interior pulleys... I even went to emergency repair procedure number 1 ... I got a bigger hammer... so rather than risk doing more damage, I contacted JET for a repair facility near me... there are three, one in Knoxville, and two in Chattanooga. Since Dianne's rehab is in Athens, 40 miles south of us, Chattanooga was a better choice as we were already half way there and I've used the guy in Knoxville before and while he does a good job, it takes him 2-3 weeks to get the lathe back to me.... it may have been worth it as I'll still be down another week or so before I get everything back together... I still need to get new interior pulleys and a new keyway and maybe a new spindle if I can't sand the burr off the one I have....

I asked for an estimate before they did anything and when they called back, the estimate was between $300 and $400... and you know it would be closer to $400. I opted to take it back and try to fix it myself.... they gave me my lathe back in a box... completely disassembled inside the housing and still charged me $55 for the "estimate".... I'm not upset or mad because what I needed to begin with was a disassembly and didn't have the tools to pull the bearing and pulley off the spindle, so guess it was a cheap fix... the reassembly will be interesting, but I've done it once before so should not be a major problem... now just need to find the time to do it... for a retired man, I seem to be incredibly busy lately.

Bummer. I'm betting you can sand the burr off but am wondering if the spindle is wallowed some where the broken key was?

Looks like somewhere north of $160+ in parts if you have to replace them all. The key at least is cheap, the pulley's not so much!
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet-jwl1442vs-708358-wood-lathe-parts-c-32652_32854_155049.html

Side story: I bought a "junk table" at an estate sale a couple years back for $15, what apparently no one else had noticed was the set of 6 gear pullers shoved in the back of it. I then sold a couple of grinding wheels that were also in the back to the guy who's bought the grinder for $20 (they were 14x2" wheels so he made out like a bandit as well) so for -$5 I got a whole set of gear pullers. Some folks call me a packrat but just one project like this... :D At the same auction I bought a "box of old rope" for $5 that (serendipitously I didn't know they were there, was happy with just the rope) had a half dozen fishing weight molds in the bottom of it.

Bummer. I'm betting you can sand the burr off but am wondering if the spindle is wallowed some where the broken key was?

Looks like somewhere north of $160+ in parts if you have to replace them all. The key at least is cheap, the pulley's not so much!
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet-jwl1442vs-708358-wood-lathe-parts-c-32652_32854_155049.html

Side story: I bought a "junk table" at an estate sale a couple years back for $15, what apparently no one else had noticed was the set of 6 gear pullers shoved in the back of it. I then sold a couple of grinding wheels that were also in the back to the guy who's bought the grinder for $20 (they were 14x2" wheels so he made out like a bandit as well) so for -$5 I got a whole set of gear pullers. Some folks call me a packrat but just one project like this... :D At the same auction I bought a "box of old rope" for $5 that (serendipitously I didn't know they were there, was happy with just the rope) had a half dozen fishing weight molds in the bottom of it.

They're a little pricey with their parts... I go directly to Jet and get most of the parts for just over $120.... except the bearings... I'll get them from VXB at about $25 plus shipping. The pulley assembly is only $59 from Jet vs $66 from ereplacementparts.
I don't think the spindle is salvageable, but I have another that I pulled out earlier that's still good... I pulled it out because I thought the E-ring keeper had wallowed out the slot, but doesn't seem to be ... the one I just had pulled has a huge gouge in the e-ring slot where they forced the pulley off the spindle. I'll toss it or make a paper weight from it.

On your side story, there used to be an auction house in Houston that sold junk... literally junk, they collected all week and auctioned it off every Friday night... at the time I worked for a company out of Cleveland Ohio that had an office in Houston and the office manager's son would go to the auction every Friday and buy boxes... they would be just boxes of stuff, that he would buy sight unseen... he was forever coming up with little treasures that got packed in the boxes and were far more valuable than what he paid for the box... it was like they were gathering stuff from peoples storage units and just selling the boxes as they arrived. Sam never spent more than about $10 on a box and sometimes would make a couple of hundred on the resell of the stuff.

Doesn't sound like it should be to bad then. Just the pain of waiting until the parts show up.

On reselling I keep telling loml "look this saw would be worth at least $25 maybe $50 once I clean it up and sharpen it and they only want $5". She inevitably responds with some comment about the other 20 or so saws in the pile and asks how many I've actually sold (knowing darn well the answer is none). It's the possibility not the actuality here :D