I'm gonna be sick to my stomach!

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
if I eat all these cherries we just picked in one sitting!! :D

Luckily some will be pied, some will be dried, and some will .. of course .. be headed straight inside. Ended up with about 15lbs of dark sweets (Van and Lappert mostly) and about the same of pie cherries (montmorency - so happy to find those!)

I might still over do it.. hard not to.

Last edited:
love cherry pie, you got a baker friend ryan? if so i will be right over:)

Bit of a drive Larry, although I suppose that hasn't stopped you before :D :thumb: If you were just a bit closer I suspect the smell of them cooking would pull you over.

I do the baking here. Since it's just the two of us a whole pie is a lot so I've started making mini pies and freezing them after par cooking (basically make as usual but pull them out of the oven 15-20m early, wrap in tinfoil to freeze, unwrap and put back in a hot oven for 20m or so). One of the small pies is just about right to spilt for dessert or as a whole for dinner if I'm batching it :D Did two batches of dough today so that made 10 mini pies (about 4" across) and we froze enough filling to make a streusel or something.

My pie crust is somewhere between OK and best in show depending on how much I've been baking. Sad to say it's a lot closer to the OK side right now, still a heck of a lot better than most store crust. I prefer whole wheat (fresh ground) loml prefers white (she mostly came around on the bread.. pie not yet, it's only been 17 years so there still time) so I usually do 50/50.

Oh yeah, Sharon got some cherries from costco. Not sure what kind, but very tasty!

If they're dark red then odds are about 95% that they'd be bings. If pale then same or better odd on raniers. Bings aren't bad but tend to have a bit thicker skin and firmer flesh than some of the less widespread commercial varieties. Vans, lapperts and a handful of other dark sweets are IMHO somewhat better than bings if you can get them, but any cherries are generally better than no cherries!

The pie cherries like the montmorencies are about impossible to find commercially except at a few u-pick places here and there. They are so juicy and soft that they would just be mush if you shipped them. They're also a lot more tart sour than most of the eating ones (I like then out of hand but I'll also eat lemons like you would an orange so...).

Those look great, Ryan. :thumb: For part of my childhood we had an orchard with a variety of fruits. There's nothing quite like sitting in a cherry tree and eating cherries until you can barely walk home. :D