Blown throne zone

Slap away Larry :D knowing what should be done doesn't always agree with what the wallet will squeeze out...poor boy in me says pine was fine for 60+ yrs should be good enough for the few more we'll be here{said with a grin & a prayer}.

Steve hurry up and get over here, I'll need help in holding Larry off of me :rofl:...I love doing things like this too, especially new to me stuff... just wish I could find a job to pay for things to be done as Larry would say > 'stout' :D

Believe it or not I love doing little jobs like this. If I was closer I'd guarantee to have it tour out and put back in two days or less. Most times it's a good days job. :)

Steve, you are such a hard worker I think that you need a vacation. Maybe to New Hampshire ????? I know a guy who pays for bathroom repairs with as much lobster, clam chowder, and Whoopie Pies as you can eat. :D:D:D

They make Marine grade plywood. Its used on docks and boats.

Maybe try adding a lyer of moister barier below, such as plastic sheeting,

and caulking the joints on top to prevent downward penetration.

A lot of pro plumbers run a 1/4" joint of white cement for the base to sit on to prevent rocking and cracking the seal.

So, to finish this off....after replacing the 1x I layed some 30# felt topped with 3/4" ply...
plybase.JPG

Then 1/4" ply coated with a primer sealer...
sealer_primer.JPG

And took Ryan's advice pertaining to wax ring replacement...Thanks Ryan :thumb:
Fernco FTS-4 ring.JPG

And been slowly wrapping things up...
Closer.JPG closer yet.JPG

Just baseboard trim and shoe molding remaining, then reinstall pedestal sink and some final caulking along with a floor standing cabinet and register cover and making a note somewhere to remind me to hire it out next time :doh::rofl:

That's it, let the smiley-slapping.gifcontinue :D

Thanks guys!

Easy peasy Ted, just need to clean the horn thoroughly before attaching it, needs to be totally clean free of wax, dirt etc. finished off with some rubbing alcohol to be certain....installing is a little different from what I'm used to, as you place this on the bowl and then set it down on the drain, so it makes some fun out of lifting the bowl from a side laying position and getting it into position to lower it down. But then again I did this with the tank attached so YMMV.

& Yes Home Dee po had it in two sizes, 3" or 4", IIRC was about $6.00.....hope what they say about reusing it for the life of the throne holds true, think I used 4 standard wax rings removing and replacing during this fiasco :thud:

Last edited:
Just a follow up on the leak that began this mess...

Found out the hard way yesterday where the water was coming from. The seal at the top {sink side} of the 'trap' pipe was
cocked {I didn't notice originally as I took it all off from the wall as one piece}. Anyways, went in yesterday morning to see water all over the floor :eek:, so I turned on the taps to see where it was coming from, but nothing showed :huh: dry as a bone and flowing down the drain just fine. Then I closed the sink plug and allowed some water to fill the bowl and released the plug, that is when water went everywhere :doh: seems the drain was fine with standard tap flow, but when hit with the extra amount due to the plug, the system couldn't handle the rush and backed out of the seal gap. And helping with the water escape was our floor leans to the sink side of the room, and there had never been any real sealing of the wall to floor.

Ah well, live & learn I guess, should be good to go as my caulking job seemed to keep it all on the floor. I had spread some seam sealer along all the tile seams, which looks like it was a good few minutes spent...although that first moment when I seen the water did, I'll admit, cause a tad of moisture to flow from my eyes for a bit.

I'm learning to like the outhouse at camp more and more each day :rofl:

FWIW for those with curious minds, my wife wears a partial denture thingy and had soaked it in the sink that morning as her regular container has been misplaced {by who, we'll not mention:whistling: :eek::D} during the re-do. I escaped her wrath by telling her it was misplaced on purpose for testing purposes ;)

Anyways just thought some might like my findings as to closure on this.....I hope :thud:

:thud:Ah well you picked yourself up and solved the problem now you get a :score: but you best find that container for the teeth or you gonna get a:deadhorse: and see stars :rofl:

Ken you aint alone. I got that Dang car done last weekend only to discover an issue we had not dealt with. :pullhair::beer: