Thread: Elm lumber?

Elm lumber?

i just got a toy box to build out of elm lumber and a contrasting wood.. looking at H maple, this needs some engrving but i think its beyond our laser guys specifictions..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box - Copy.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	83629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engraving - Copy.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	83630has anyone got experience working with Red Elm?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Depends on the size of each side if you send Pete the panel or panels (before glue up) and then line them and glue them when back home. No experience to share though.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Made the sleigh bed from Red Elm Larry, you have see it. I didn't have any problem with it at all, it 's pretty soft and course textured lumber but it works really well. Sands smooth and takes finish well. I would use it again for sure.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

I have been building Canjo neck out of it I like it.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

If you look at Pete's website, you will see he does some big stuff, I think. I can tell you from experience he does great work, a pleasure to communicate with and do business with.
    "We the People ......"

Hey Larry, I haven't worked with elm yet, but a friend of mine has built kitchen cabinets out of it. As I recall he said it was a little squirrelly, meaning that it has internal stresses. So I would cut the boards a little large and thicker at first and let them sit a bit before machining them to finish size. I love the grain pattern and color. I think he used some stain to pop the grain.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    Hey Larry, I haven't worked with elm yet, but a friend of mine has built kitchen cabinets out of it. As I recall he said it was a little squirrelly, meaning that it has internal stresses. So I would cut the boards a little large and thicker at first and let them sit a bit before machining them to finish size. I love the grain pattern and color. I think he used some stain to pop the grain.
    That's been my experience with elm too, and I tamed it the exact same way you described. It's got some of the most beautiful grain I've seen yet in wood.
    Got Wood?

I work with Keyaki or Zelkova which is also called Japanese Elm, you might see more of it over there as they are not affected by the Dutch Elm disease, and are being planted as replacements for dying Elm trees.

The stuff I work with has a very toothy grain, but I think it is great stuff to work with flat, bowls, not so much, when it dries it is hard as concrete but it works fairly well, though it does dull sharp edges fairly quickly.

It has been used here for cabinets and tables etc. for a very long time.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

in the first post that shows the picture of the box with engraving in it does anyone here have a idea of what that much engraving would cost at a cnc shop?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!