working on # 2

Repair process: I diluted the Damar crystals last night , this morning heated with a % of bees wax , cut the linen strips. I use linen so the Damar can carry the bees wax through. Now waiting for dry. I needed to reline the edges with a rabbit skin glue to restretch the painting once finished. The edges had become very brittle. Waiting for the Damar and wax mixture to harden up. If at any point the repairs get damaged A little heat will help remove the linen strips to make a new repair. Everything in painting conservation needs to be reversible for , just in case down the road.

:lurk:

Does the beeswax acts as the primary bonding agent or is it mostly to soften the damar so its less brittle?
Actually both , It's set up enough to flip over and work the canvas fibers into the groves and tomorrow I can start the painting touch up. I am surprised that I only have one small ripple from the rip and the compression the canvas endured. I was hoping not to have any but I will try to draw it in with a bit of rabbit skin glue.

Last edited:
I think this is really interesting too.

Now I still think big T shaped tear looks more like a maids shoulder than any kitty cat I've ever seen.

Where are the claw marks--lol.

I think maybe someone was horsing around on the job--lol.

cat.jpg

This is where I am with the touch up. I patched the tears then removed the patch for fear of de-patching. I re skinned the painting with a new canvas backing.

Last edited:
Man you are a magician. What can one say, without knowing better one would think you somehow photoshopped the picture but even photoshop could not get that good.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks Ted , Vaughn and Rob.

The re-mounting was the most nerve racking moment in years. That is the only part of this that can not be reversed if needed. Kind of like veneering but one little slip and I would of had a disaster. I had Jarrod on one side , Tony our very competent helper on the other and me sitting down in the center doing the 1st touch and applying the new while the 2 keep the canvas tought ?

Sweating bullets on that one. LOL