Need to take down a tree FAST??

If any one has one of those, bring it over, I've got about 4 acres that need some clearing!! Some people get to operate some of the neatest equipment!

Last edited:
If any one has one of those, bring it over, i got about 4 acres that need some clearing!! Some people get to operate some of the neatest equipment!

When I was a kid my one grandpa demonstrated how to take down a ~2' diameter tree with primacord (my other grandpa was the one that demonstrated making a 1/2 mile of ditch with 1/4 sticks of dynamite every 10-15' tied together with primacord - I come by some things naturally). That was a lot of fun as well. Maybe almost as much fun as this insta-tree-mulcher, but certainly more setup.

If I still lived closer to that area you'd be at risk of an axe and chainsaw invasion. We were hanging out at a friends house a few years back and he mentioned that he'd "sure like to take down that dead tree sometime", no sooner said than I had the axe out of the truck and it was mostly down - "you randomly have an axe in your truck"? "Well sure, I'm Canadian you know". I think he was a little taken aback by the suddenness of it all.

Oh yeah very cool.

BUT - it hurts me to see such waste of natural resources.

Don't get me wrong - I am not a tree hugger - but that is a lot of homes that could be heated, just getting shredded.

I could see the huge area behind the machine that was cleared.

Fun to watch it gobble up a tree - but man alive - that one tree could heat my house for a month or two.

I know it's all about the almighty dollar - but I don't see the efficiency in it.

Could have used that yesterday when I took down two large (8' x 6' dia.) cedar shrubs in front of the house that was too large. Used a tow strap & my TrailBlazer 4WD. That was the easy part. To have that tree eater would have been nice, but a mess to clean up.

BUT - it hurts me to see such waste of natural resources.
<snip>
I know it's all about the almighty dollar - but I don't see the efficiency in it.

Leo, these are commonly used for clearing power lines and firebreaks in remote areas. While you could haul the stuff out from some of those places it generally wouldn't be super practical and the mulch left behind is actually helpful in encouraging the "right" type of vegetation you'd want growing along that sort of thing (short and shrubby). Most of the trees in this sort of setup are second growth and kind of trashy as well (lots of limbs all the way down) so they aren't even the best firewood.

Several years ago a friend and co-worker at an engineering firm went to a demonstration of a similar piece of equipment to be used for clearing property lines. He was standing with a group of people about 75 feet behind the equipment as it operated when the machine threw a 4" diameter 'log' like an arrow from a bow, that struck him in the chest. He spent two weeks in the ICU but survived to retire with a nice nest egg from the sponsor of the demonstration. This is an amazing machine, but don't get too close!