Sanding Belt for Sharpening Knives

Al Launier

I occasionally use my belt sander (1" x 42") for sharpening knives and am looking for a decent source & grit to put an edge on without having to stone the edge afterward. The blades aren't all of the best steel for holding an edge, so I sometimes have to touch up frequently on the belt, but it's quick. I have a steel & a hand held diamond sharpener, but like using the belt. In fact, I like the fine saw-tooth edge that is left by a belt.

I called Klingspor & they recommended the 1" x 42" belt (P/N 3210600x1424) Silicon Carbide over the Alum Oxide. Unfortunately they don't accept PayPal. I only need 2-3, but, I've been unable to find a 1" x 42" belt in 600 grit "Silicon Carbide" on Google or eBay.

Any suggestions?

I use the 60 grit that is on mine. Works fine for me. Remove the platen backing and sharpen with a flex belt. I like the edge better that way. It is an apple edge, not flat which is usually unsatisfactory.

If you're sharpening with a 60 grit belt, you're ending up with more of a saw than a knife. Still cuts, I'm sure, but in a totally different way. ;)

If you're sharpening with a 60 grit belt, you're ending up with more of a saw than a knife. Still cuts, I'm sure, but in a totally different way. ;)

I agree with what you said Vaughn, but I suspect it was a typo. Probably meant 600 grit.

I do use the "flex" portion of the belt when I want a slightly "curved" edge on things like an axe, etc. For a "straight beveled cutting edge I prefer to sand against the platen support.

Thanks Rob, they do have a nice supply. If i can't find a source that accepts PP, then I'll go with LV.

I agree with what you said Vaughn, but I suspect it was a typo. Probably meant 600 grit.

I do use the "flex" portion of the belt when I want a slightly "curved" edge on things like an axe, etc. For a "straight beveled cutting edge I prefer to sand against the platen support...

LOL, I suspect you're right about the typo. I totally missed that possibility.

Like you, I was always into a straight bevel on knife edges, but that was until I started using Global knives in the kitchen. They have a slightly convex bevel, and I'm not sure how they do it, but they are some of the best-cutting knives I own. :thumb:

Not sure if we're talking about turning tools or regular flat bladed knives (hunting knives, kitchen etc...), but I sharped my turning tools on a 1" Harbor Freight belt sander for years... it's what I had, so I used it.... I've recently since gotten a slow speed grinder with the white wheels and the wolverine system.... sharpening is much simpler now and my tools keep their angle and shape much better. I did turn a lot of wood using the belt sander though.

Dad used to sharpen his chisels and hand planes on the belt sander with 60 or 80 grit, worked for what he needed them for, which was hogging out wood mostly and it does leave an acceptable edge for that purpose. When I've sharpened knives for him on my setup he'd just a soon take and run the blade across a rock to dull it up a bit before he uses it, sometimes scary sharp is too sharp for some folks. ;)

I use a 60 grit belt in my 1X42" for mower blades and axes, hoes, etc.

For finer edges, I use a 15 micron belt from Lee Valley. The leather 1X42 band, used with green honing compound, works reasonable well, too.

Mostly, for any 'fine' edges, I use the Tormek, though.

When sharpening mower blades I also use 60 grit, but on my 3" x 21" sander which I clamp upside down on my work bench so I can use the radiused end for the contour portion of the blade.