Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoring the Great Pumpkin

Restoring the Great Pumpkin

Well today was the easy part Tear Down! I have been soaking EVERYTHING in with PB Blaster since it hit the shop. BTW, Kroil is the best stuff I have ever used, but PB-Blaster is a close second. WD-40 is a joke. It may lube but it does nothing for rusted in place bolts.

Took about 3 hours but she is down to the naked casting. Parts are laid out on the bench in order. And Man are those tables heavy! I used the lift to take them off and I am so glad I did! Couldn't have done it safely by myself.

The parts and pieces all lined up in order. Along with a few photos on the computer to help remember!

Now the cool thing. Babbitt thrust bearing??

Now the bad. The break was worse than I expected. Not horrible but it broke out right through the threaded hole. That means it's going to be harder to repair. Assuming I keep the square head on it. Haven't decided yet. Wanted to get it torn down.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 04-22-2007 at 02:36 PM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Hey Jeff,
    That is a beautiful machine. You will be able to rabbet the heck out of the big stuff now.
    Looks like you need move those saw horses a wee bit closer together with that weight.
    My 8" is a real trooper but that 12" is a champion! Keep us posted of the "GREAT PUMPKINS" growth.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Aw Jeff, don't worry about that broken casting, just send it over to Stu, and he can weld it back together for you. He's got recent 'Sperience welding CI.

Better yet, buy a good quality MIG and learn to DIY

Really Jeff, not like you could not use a welder in your shop

Looking good, where are you going to make a pond for the soaking phase?

Lose the square head, it is just trouble waiting to happen, I noticed that Grizzly has these on sale

Attachment 7281

ONLY $695 .....

Just think, you would have a near perfect jointer, 12" capacity, no tear-out cutter head........

Looking forward to the rebirth!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Attachment 7281

ONLY $695 .....

Just think, you would have a near perfect jointer, 12" capacity, no tear-out cutter head........
    I have a little Ace up my sleeve.
    Attachment 7287

I got this and 3 sets of knives for $50. Just saved $649!

I ended up putting one of the tables back on last night. Of course after cleaning the moving parts it adjusts now! I realized I need the table in place to size up the round head. Long story but if I do decide to use it, and it has a LOT of advantages, I need to do some measuring to know how high to mount it and where, etc. So I put the table back on it.

And talk about heavy!! No way could I put one table in place without the lift! I can barely stand it on edge without loosing it. There is more cast iron in that one table than most new machines!

Attachment 7288

Welder is on my list Stu. I have my dad's old stick welder and acetaline torch. Just need to get new cables and relearn how to weld. Been years! But yea a mig would be much nicer.

You will love the MIG, it is really easy to use.

I love the bolts on the base of the Pumpkin......what, it was going to move around.............??
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I've been thinking about those bolts! Someone went to a lot of trouble to put them there. What in the world were they jointing that they were worried would tip the machine over? An entire oak tree? It'd have to be 6" thick and 15' long... and even then...

Not sure I'd want to bolt that thing to my floor, anyway. If it *did* tip, it might take the whole shop with it...

Thanks,

Bill

I've been wondering about that bolts too. And the ones in the end of the tables? What he heck were they for??

I do have one guess on the base. I have never worked with line shafts so it's just a guess and this machine doesn't appear to have ever had a motor on it. But I wonder if the machine might want to creep towards the overhead shaft which would loosen the belt and let it slip? I can scoot it around on concrete and the trailer (wood) floor so I could see how it might move some.

Actually the line shaft idea makes sense, them long belts in themselves must have been heavy, and with them pulling, and vibrating.......... yeah, I could see how they might move that large a machine.

Bill, I have no doubt they did do some major jointing of larger chunks of wood, things were not stick construction back then, but mostly post and beam, so if you had a nice beam in the middle of your great room, you would want it smooth, right

I just had another thought (wow, two in one day!! ) could the bolts on the base be for leveling?

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I just had another thought (wow, two in one day!! ) could the bolts on the base be for leveling?
    Maybe when new, but these are carriage bolts.