Restoring the Great Pumpkin

SNEAK PREVIEW

Yes Steve, it was fairly smooth. Noisy as all get out thought! Not sure what is going on. I think the motor stand is making some noise. The motor is quite sitting on the concrete. I noticed it was noisier on the wood stand I built.

Then I put the belt on and gee whiz! The motor pulley is a hollow aluminum pulley and rings like a bell when you hit it. The metal clipper lacing hitting it is, I assume, making a lot of the noise. With the belt off it's fairly quite. So the noise is in the drive line and/or belt related.

I really don't like all this noise. Got to figure out how to quite it down. I am thinking a new base is to start with.

As I was getting ready to quit for the night I shot a quick video. I will replace this one with something better latter on. But thought I would share it. So here is your sneak preview.

Sneak preview

I'd guess part of the noise is the roar of the wind getting beaten to death by that square cutter head. :p

Looking great, Jeff. You'll get the glitches ironed out soon, I'm sure. :thumb:

After seeing the video I'm real glad you put a blade guard on that big thing. I can tell you always do but, Please play safe!:D

OK, not going to go through all the stuff I just wrote, if you want to whole story it will be on the web site shortly. Well it's there now, I just don't have it linked in. Great Pumpkin finished.

So sum it up to say:

98.2% done! I made quite a few chips today with it.

Left to be done are getting the electricals into a proper enclosure. Mounting the switch. A better rod for the return spring. Painting the stupid pulley I keep forgetting. And the inevitable tweaking.

d20-finished1.jpg

d20-finished2.jpg

d20-finished3.jpg

I assume this is the point where I should do the Happy Dance?

cool video jeff! what`s your next restoration?;)

Finish the bandsaw then I take a vacation! This one has taken .... 3 months???

I really like the way you scattered the wood chips all around to make it look like the jointer did some cutting. :rofl:

Vaughn -->
sterb035.gif

You might try a genetic clutch return spring.....

Yea, I forgot about them. That might work even better that what I was thinking. Just as long as it is not too strong.

I have to admit that I don't like the idea of having a square head cutter on the jointer, but it doesn't seem to bother me when it's in Geoff's shop...:D

I have to admit that I don't like the idea of having a square head cutter on the jointer, but it doesn't seem to bother me when it's in Geoff's shop...:D

One of the Aussie brothers gave the perfect words for the warning sign to hang on the machine.

DANGER
I am a real woodworking machine!
I eat wood for lunch and pick my teeth
with the Operator's finger-bones!
"

:eek: