Restoring the Great Pumpkin

Ed

odd innit how sometimes one can look at something and see something else, e.g. your avatar as Alf . i suppose that Airedales feel the same way as ALF's do towards cats? :)

Got to give credit to Jeff Smith for this idea. I was all around it and just couldn't figure out a good way to get the curve right on the guard. Jeff said something about sliding it under the fence and marking it, then it clicked with me! Thanks Jeff!

d11-guard1.jpg

Mounted a an old scale (ruler) to have a constant reference point for the guard to register on. I would slide the fence up and make a mark till I was about 3/4" or the way across the table.

d11-guard2.jpg

Cleaned up the lines with French Curve set. Cut it out and cleaned it up on the sander.

d11-guard3.jpg

d11-guard4.jpg

It didn't turn out perfect but it was close. I had to trim and modify it just a bit here and there. But it made a very close starting point. I am very happy with the end results. The pesky gap I had is all but gone now.

I need to extend the edge closest to the operator a 1/2" and it will be ready to build a real one. Still have not decided on the material but leaning toward someones suggestion of a nice piece of wood and brass rub rail.

Now on to the motor mounting.

Ed

odd innit how sometimes one can look at something and see something else, e.g. your avatar as Alf . i suppose that Airedales feel the same way as ALF's do towards cats? :)

:rofl: That's funny! I never thought of the Alf similarities, but now that you point it out I can see it! He does pretty well with the cats (we have 3!) Other critters are a different story though. So far he has 2 squirrels and a 'possom to his credit!

Jeff, Looks like you're figuring that porkchop out. If you do make the real one out of wood and brass, use a darker wood, my preference would be walnut. That piece of ply stands out like a neon sign!

If you do make the real one out of wood and brass, use a darker wood, my preference would be walnut. That piece of ply stands out like a neon sign!

:rofl:

Funny you would say that. Was just discussing using Walnut. Mainly cause that is what I have in the shop. That and nice dark red black cherry.

I did think about MDF because it finish no nice and can be painted to look like a metal guard, but the paint is going to wear off.

Finished up the motor mount today. Time to start looking for a flat belt and working on the wiring. It's getting REALLY close to lighting the fuse on this rocket!!

d12-base1.jpg

d12-base2.jpg

I looked into flat belt prices and was floored! Leather is about $22 a foot! So pursuing all the options.

The machine is now heavy enough I can just BARELY move it by myself. I was able to scoot it across the floor but it's all I can do to move one end now.

I think I may pick up the conduit and start pulling the 3 phase power across the shop.

Looking at these photos I really need to sweep the floor and tidy up.
Jeff

Last edited:
Once again you have made a machine look like it did when new. Not many pepole have the patince to do a full restore on old arn. Bet you cant waiit to fire it up and runn some boards thru it.

Finally got what I been praying for. Steady work. Means time in the Lab is a bit more scarce. But I did manage this squeak this out the past couple of days. between working on building a new saw handle. (Man it's nice to do some wood working!!)

d12-guard.jpg

This is the new cherry blade guard. Just used what I had laying around the shop. Decided to save the walnut for something else. Still needs a lot of sanding and such, but wanted to see it in place.

Jeff

Going to go the quick and dirty way on that. (Meaning I am out of great ideas) I think I am going to attach an extension spring under the tab hanging over the table. Stretch it over the bearing box and hook it in a lube hole there. It won't be in the way or block the hole from being used. And I can quickly remove if needed.

Always helps if you remember to put in the photo :doh:

d12-guard.jpg

Just got to finalize the mounting post and how I am going to attach the guard to it. Got an idea on that.

Last edited:
I keep thinking that if it just had brushes so there were some sparks in the end while it runs, then a big old knife switch to start it.... would be perfect for a Frankenstein movie of some other old mad scientists Lab. :D

Manages to get a lot of things done today. I ordered bushing, shafting and all the related pieces to hinge the guard. Man, I really love McMaster Carr's online catalog. They make it so easy to find what you need. These should be here Monday.

I am waiting on a quote on a belt from Semcor, but I think I going to call Sikes Monday and just order one from them. After all how hard is it to give me price on a 93" x 4" belt?? It's not rocket science!

Today I cut down the blades myself. I thought I was going to have to take them to a machine shop or find someone that would let me spend some time on their mill. But turned out that I could just cut them with the angle grinder and a cut off wheel. That was much easier that I expected. It left them a bit rough but I guess it really doesn't matter. I rounded the edges so I didn't have any sharp corner to cut my hand on.

d16-blades2.jpg

d16-blades1.jpg

Once they were cut down I had plans to make a jig to sharpen them in my Makita Knife sharpener. To my surprise they fit just fine. So I sharpened both blades and they are ready to install. I think I will wait and do that last. Less change and cutting a finger on them.

Next job was to make new gaskets (which server as shims too) for the bearing caps. I had made these before but realized latter that what I did wasn't going to work. The shaft bearings rides on a film of oil. I had a left a rather larger gap when I made the gaskets and I could just see oil pouring out those gaps. So I scraped them and made a new set today. I had to take it apart to install the oil wicking felt in there anyway.

d16-gaskets1.jpg

d16-gaskets2.jpg

Then I shimmed and leveled the table. As it stands now, all I need is new enclosure for the motor controls. The box I have now doesn't have a lid and I think it would be to shallow if it did. I need the belt and to finish the guard. Probably no more than 4-5 hours. And of course some Debugging time. I am sure there will be some problems that crop up. Maybe by this weekend I will be making wood chips!

Oh, I REALLY need to paint that pulley. That Red Primer is ugly!!

Got my parts from McMaster Carr to finish the guard. A piece of 3/4" tool steel, some shaft collars, a bushing, UHMW and and some bronze thrust bearings.

d17-guard1.jpg

I started by boring a hole in the guard I made for the headed bushing. I then epoxied the bushing in place so it doesn't move. I cut the UHMW to size and attached with some bronze screws.

d17-guard2.jpg

I cut the rod to length and ground a radius on the ends. Waxed it with good ole Gulf Wax and installed it on the jointer. I need to put one of the shaft collars on. The head of the busing will ride on the table.

d17-guard3.jpg

My calculations were better than expected and whole guard clears the outfeed table. The UHMW pads don't touch and the thrust bearings I bought for shims are not needed. However if I made a heavy cut I might need them to raise the guard. They were cheap and it's better to have them just in case.

Just need an extension spring and to sand and finish the guard. This was easier than I expected,

Last edited:
IT RUNS!! IT RUNS!!

Just got the belt and it ran for the first time in who knows how many years!!

Heaters apprently overloaded too. So now it won't run. :huh:

:( Now I HAVE to run to the Post Office and mail my taxes quickly! Last day.
Anyway once I get back I am headed straight to the Lab.

Details at 11!!

HINT: Notice the oil stains on the base?
Well, that would imply the babbitt bearings gave up the ghost and your oil may have leaked out and burned up the bearings possibly. It looks like you have the bearing casing taken apart also...

Hope it's nothin' serious, but will probably require pouring another bearing at minimum.

Well, there was a loose screw behind the wrench. :doh: If we can get him under control we should be OK.

It's just an littererly an oil leak. But what an oil leak it was. It was an oil leak(s) to be proud of! Few more minutes and I would have gotten some Sheiks attention. ;) If someone had been thinking and put a gasket under the bearing boxes...... well, enough said.

Should be running again in a few minutes. No damage Allen, just a mess. Got to call in the HazMat team to clean it up I guess.

Steve, grease won't work with babbitt. Well not for long anyway. The shaft is supposed to ride on a very thin film of oil between the bearing and shaft. I did some reading on this and the choice of oil is important too. To heavy and the bearings will overheat, to light an it won't ride on the film, it runs off the shaft to fast.