To each their own

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that my last house went on the market the other day. It was the only house weve bought new.we caught it intheframing stage and my wife got to make most of the design choices.

Here are the pics when we sold it about 5 years back...

https://picasaweb.google.com/118439887436548433410/OldHouse

I finished the basement, did the stonework, and back patio area.

Looks like they decided to paint all the woodwork.

http://www.reeceandnichols.com/homes-for-sale/MO/Liberty/64068/1833-PARKSIDE-Drive-125282442

I dont mind a little painted trim. The kitchen is what really looks bland to me. They even painted the wood around the counter. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Yep - different strokes!

We've bought and sold two houses since we've been together. When we saw what the buyers did in each case, it was kinda sad, but it was their choice. Stupid choices, but theirs. We made money on both, so.....

We should pitch in...buy it and make it the permenant home of FW. Price of admission is Larry does all the refinish work!! ;) :rofl:

Although I appreciate fine woodwork & finishes, and the craftsmanship involved, we are one of "those" of different strokes. We like "light & bright", adds to the sun's background brightness of the rooms. We have an abundance of white, or near white in our home: carpet, ceramic tile, kitchen cabinets, columns, etc. We do have cherry furniture throughout for a nice feel & contrast.

The home decorating magazines are all featuring how to make your kitchen new and updated by painting the cabinets white. I like bright kitchens, but like the look of wood better:)

Not for me well ok so it is my kitchen is painted white.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
But they sure did mess that one up. IMO I would say if they wanted to do white cabinets they need to spice it up with a granite counter and black or stainless appliances. But I have been wrong before about what looks good and what don't just ask any one of the designers I have worked for.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
To be honest, I like both looks. They both have a different feel, and I recognize the people who like one of the looks quite possibly won't like the other.

When I sold my last house, it had nice natural (real) wood paneling in the living room, and a beamed vaulted ceiling to match. The new owner promptly painted the whole thing white. But like Bill said, I made money on the sale, so I got over any heartburn about the paint pretty quickly.

Some have no appreciation for the natural beauty of wood. When you visit the Gamble house the docent usually relates the story of the aunt who resided there and owned the property some decades after it was built who was considering the sale of the house - until one couple touring the house remarked that all that dark ugly wood would have to be painted to brighten the place up. Auntie showed them the front door!

Can you imagine the loss of all that beautiful teak and mahogany not to mention the exquisite craftsmanship?

I agree that "changing" from quality stained cabinets by painting over them is the wrong way to go, actually a sinful way to spoil beautiful wood. But, initially, when the house is being built (as in our case), we both prefer not to have the darkness associated with dark cabinets, etc.. White, or lightly colored cabinets, lend a more cheerful ambiance to the area, especially in the morning when the sun rays are beaming through all the windows & doors.
So, I don't think it's a lack of appreciation of fine wood, or craftsmanship, it's a preference of the more natural, brighter ambiance. Fortunately, we all don't have the same tastes as that would lead to too much "sameness" from home to home.