Air hose connections,, irratating!!!

larry merlau

i just finished a job that i needed all my air hose to get the job done when i started i had one hose that the female end would leak once you hooked it up.. but half way threw the job the other one is doing the same thing.. yet i got 2 other old rubber ones that are just fine.. do i need to change out the ends or is there a fix for them?

Seems to me there is a rubber o-ring in them. Maybe it has dried out? Try soak in something to soften the rubber? Don'y know what though.

Only questions at this point.

1. I'm assuming you're referring to quick connect/disconnect fittings???
  2. How long have you used the socket fittings?
  3. Are they aluminum, brass or stainless?
  4. Have you checked them for wear, both the socket & plug fittings?
  5. Have you tried cleaning them?
  6. Once they start to leak, can you "wiggle" the fitting & stop the leak?
  7. Have you disassembled the socket fitting to check the condition of the "internals", i.e. rubber o-ring/seals?
  8. The fact that they don't leak until hooked up to the plug fitting might suggest wear on the socket or perhaps even the plug fitting???

Larry I just went out to the shop and looked at some of mine and carol is correct there is an small O ring on the inside of the female connector that the end of the male connector presses against. I would try replaceing that O ring of you can get the old one out.

well i was wondering if that was a o ring or just a washer that it seats next to... will see if i can dismantle one tomorrow.. dont see how i can, they just spin around on them selves? and to pul the old one out threw the hole would be a feat in itself let alone pushing one back in/// Al the female fitting is the one leaking not when plugged into gun just when its on the end of the line of air

Sounds like the plunger at the back is what is leaking, if it leaks when not connected. Did you try pushing a nail or pin of some sort down there a couple of times with pressure on the hose? Sometimes there is some junk holding the plunger off the seal just a little Push and release a couple of times to see if it will seal. :huh:

i agree with don mine is alot deeper and i did try your idea charles, used high pressure from the shop to try and b;low out any junk that might be in the way it acts like it doesnt line up well and the spring might be week to hold in the right place??? can try the o ring trick and se what happens then..

Nice sketch by Bob. Looks like the same fittings on my air hose. Agree the trouble of "trying" to repair the coupler is not worth the cost of replacement.