Carry On

Leo Voisine

I don't post enough of what I do here - to I will post this one.

A few years ago my kids bough this from a local artist in Conn. at an art fair.

Just the pencil sketch - no frame.
They know I want to make the frame - so this is the time.

I am remodeling my house and this would be a perfect fit into a hallway.
I will make the hallway a nautical hallway.

I also carved - NOT CNC - but totally by hand - a half hull model of a 1945 sailing vessel - "Shirley" that will also hang in the nautical hall.

Carry On Frame.jpg

I am not going to make it all one piece.

I will make the sides and top and bottom as separate pieces so I can get the grain lined up as I want it.

The text box might be made separate. That will be black
The text may also be separate. That will be gold paint
This is so I can paint it separately then assemble

Carry On - thumb.jpg
This is the picture that will be in the frame.
There will be a glass panel over the picture.

I am thinking a french cleat so that the picture will be flat on the wall.

The Term Carry On - of course has meaning today - but it came from Maritime history.

The ships Captain watched the weather and made decisions accordingly. Whenever there was good weather and a good wind he would issue the order "Carry On". This meant for the crew to hoist as much canvas as the ship had available.

The picture I am going to mount is under full sail and based on the nautical chart headed home.

Hence - the title.

I am in process of remodeling - and I want to play CNC - so - this gives me good reason to play CNC and still be in process of the remodel.

Carry on Process-1.jpg

Every project has gotta start somewhere.

In this case is started with design.
That's NOT putting the cart before the horse - Projects start with Design - but in this case it is computerized Design - and that was in the last post.

Then - you gotta get some material.

I just happened to have some Cherry waiting in the shed.

Carry on Process-3.jpg

I needed 2 sides to the frame.

I don't have any "thick" Cherry so I needed a glueup to get thickness

The three pieces in the picture will become 4 after resaw.

Carry on Process-4.jpg

I faced and edged just to get something to work with.

Carry on Process-6.jpg

I ripped to get ROUGH sized material. Around 4" wide

Carry on Process-5.jpg

I resawed one piece in half - ~ ABOUT 1/2 thick

Carry on Process-7.jpg

I thickness sanded I don't care how thick - just to get flat faces for clamping.
36 grit paper takes it down pretty fast.

Carry on Process-8.jpg

Nice even coat of glue

Carry on Process-9.jpg

There we go - the two sides are coming together.

Carry on Process-2.jpg

For the letters - I want something REALLY REALLY smooth.
I thought about maple - that would be good
I thought about PVC - that would be better
I thought about Brass - That would be awesome - I could super polish it - but it will tarnish

I then thought about corian - YEAH - I can spray paint that with Modern Masters Gold
Corian it will be.

And you all thought that CNC was all brainless dribble about the machine doing all the work - didn't you.

Don't worry the mindless dribble is on it's way

can't wait to see the dribble. If I had the money and brains, you would see a CNC in my shop, well maybe it wouldn't fit in my shop, but you know what I mean. Whew over 100' outside today. Says it is going to 107" next week.

The dribble is fun stuff.

I am trying to get youtube vids posted - but with remodeling my house - time is EXTREMELY limited.

Now - I am also following the Charles W. Morgan to all her ports of call on the 38-th voyage.

I may be rethinking my strategy on the mindless dribble.

If I do I will post all the redesign stuff.

I recreated the design.

Probably nobody will notice the differences.

The inner and the outer raised border area was not perfectly symmetrical. Hey, I cannot totally eradicate the engineer in me.

It was bothering me also that I did not make the heights of the inner and outer raised border areas with some mathematical numbers.

I did it all by eye.

This is an artistic thing - but it also has symmetry.

It wasn't good enough for me.

Also - as I was making the glueups for the tops and sides - I was able to get 1.421 inches rather than the 1.25 I was shooting for on my original design. So I also accommodated a little extra thickness.

Later - if I get some time and I can keep my eyes open - I will go through the design process step by step.

Carry on Process-10.jpgCarry on Process-11.jpg

Carry On - July 19 update

OK – so I tend to post things I have fun with. Still working on the house remodel – and I am calling THIS project PART of the remodel – so I can move on it.

I said I re-did the design. Well – I did – but the redesign was more of a cleanup of the first design, and not noticeable, unless I pointed it out – so – we will just leave it at that.

In order to make this I am going to be “fitting” things into recesses. Making the inner piece and then adjusting the receptacle, or pocket is the easiest way to go about the project.

Carry On -B1.jpg

I worked in this area today. I made the letters out of Corian, using a 1/32 tapered Ball Nosed End Mill. I do have some videos and will one fine day post those videos on youtube – but that is a LOT of work – making them so that they are not boring to watch.
Carry On -B2.jpgCarry On -B3.jpgCarry On -B4.jpg

The letters are the first thing as they will be placed into letter sized recesses in the black Text Base – then the text base will be fitted into a pocket in the frame.
The letters are about 1-3/4 high – total about 7-1/2 long for the phrase “carry on” and the letters are a max of 3/16 thick I used about 3 inches x 4 inches of ¼ thick Corian. The letters will be painted first with a flat yellow then with Gold spray paint – rustoleum, cause I have it.
I used Corian because ---- it is a stable material, strong enough for the little fragile letters to hold together, I do not need to sand, it paints really well.

Carry On -B5.jpg

I made the Text box out of PVC. Nothing special about it – just a chunk from a PVC board from Lowes. I put the wood grain down, opposite from the pocketing I will do.
WHY PVC? It cuts really easy, does not expand or contract, paints really well, is really easy to work with.

Carry On -B6.jpg

I manually – meaning I was controlling the machine with a hand held pendant – kinda like a joystick and I flattened the top of the PVC – then I sanded to 220 grit.
I then proceeded to make the letter pockets. I need to readjust about 5-6 tiles until the letters just fit – into the pockets. I little trimming with an xacto knife and the letters fall right into place.
I used a 1/32 end mill and cut the pockets 1/16 deep

Carry On -B7.jpg

There is still work to be done – I think I will 1/8 radius the top corner. That will be done on the router table. I will need to sand the entire piece.
The Text Base is 8-1/2 inches long by 2-1/2 inches high and right now just under ¾ thick, but, the thickness will change when I fit it into the frame.
I will be priming the PVC with white primer for plastic then spray painting with black gloss. I’ve done that before and it looks GREAT.

Carry On -B8.jpgCarry On -B9.jpg

I sprayed the “O” with Gold because I am impatient. I still need to finish xacto trimming the “arry”.
I will epoxy the letters into the pockets after painting

Well that’s in for now.

Tomorrow Diane and I go to Boston to see the Morgan and the Constitution at the same dock. Hopefully I will keep moving on this project. The end result will be awesome

Man, that is awesome. I love the accuracy of your machine, really makes me want to get mine going again and do some updates to it. Might have to use the proceeds from the RV project to do some of these. ;)

Darren, I also make money with it - and I sell whatever I can whenever I can. I set out a few years ago to make my hobby self sustaining. Currently I am saving up to build a 48 x 48 x 12 machine with 4-th axis plus.

It's tough not to love this stuff.

Carry On July 20

Well - I should know better.

I gave a few coats of flat black earlier today.

OK - no problem.

About 10:30 we left to go to Boston to see the Morgan, parked next to the Constitution.

Got back about 4:30

Gave it a good coat of gloss black.

Then is wrinkled.

No problem right - let it dry really good then sand it.

Hmmmmm - ya know - I think I like it wrinkled.

Anyway - The letters are a darker gold that I started with. I have some Krylon Gold - a little darker than the Rustoleum Gold.

I was going to set up my 1/8 roundover bit on the router table - but my router table is burried under MANY paint cans - due to my home remodel project. So - I just did it by hand with sandpaper.

Carry On -B10.jpg

So as we move along with this project here is the next stage of events.

I actually did do some cutting – that is in the next update. I will try to get a video or two going in that update so you can see the actual machine running and cutting.

For now – this is the next sequential stage in the actual process.

After all this IS a computer CNC process – and doing work in the computer is an essential part of the process

Bottom Frame Section-1.jpg

I took the full rendition of the frame as I designed it and did a “save as” – into the component names. I then cleaned out all but the stuff I needed for the components pieces. The full version was designed as the entire frame as one solid piece (solid as far as the computer knows). I drew a vector outline of the frame section then used some tools inside Aspire and trimmed away all but the bottom frame section.
I adjusted the material size and then proceeded to generate the toolpaths. The toolpaths are on the right side lower section of the screenshot.

Bottom Frame Section-2.jpg

This is the view of the bottom frame section – minus the text box pocket. I didn’t need that in the model as it is easier to do as a 2D pocketing routine.

Bottom Frame Section-3.jpg

Just like is “real” woodworking we start out with a board – cept, this one is digital.

Bottom Frame Section-4.jpg

I combined the two roughing toolpaths into one CNC cut file to rough out the material. The cuts on the sides – or ends are my personal preference. They are not necessary – I just like the clearance – so I can better “see” what is going on in there.

Bottom Frame Section-5.jpg

This cut is a 3D finishing cut. I use a 1/8 tapered ball nose end mill. In the next update I will show the tool in detail – and also in cut – running.

Bottom Frame Section-6.jpg

Then I run the text box pocketing routine. The plan is to run this pocket – then adjust and “fit” the text base into the pocket.

Bottom Frame Section-7.jpg

Then I run a cutout routine and actually cut the completed frame piece away from the material

August 2 Carry On Tid Bits

I have not had a lot of time to keep up with the detailed updates. Tonight I will try to get another detailed update together.

BUT - for now - some tidbits.

Carry on Aug 2 -1.jpg

I am working on a sorta temporary kitchen cabinet counter - that may become a shop cabinet.

In addition to that - I am working on the Carry On frame.
The frame is FAR more interesting than a kitchen cabinet.

Last week I made the top and bottom section. There is a show stopper booboo in the bottom section.

Carry on Aug 2 -2.jpg

I trimmed this corner miter on the SCMS as it does a better job than the CNC. Maybe my next machine will be better - but I never intended for the CNC to do the entire job.

You can see a dark matter on the top of the radius near the miter

Carry on Aug 2 -3.jpg

This is a Leo's STUPID moment. I will cover this in detail later - but, I just cannot live with it and I will make a new bottom section.

It hurts that I need to remake this piece. I will throw a chunk of Cherry in the wood stove. I will stamp my feet and say bad words. I will feel really bad through the entire re-make process.

But - I will forget the day.

If I do NOT remake it - EVERY stinkin day for the rest of my life - that mark will remind me that I should have re-made that piece.