Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Plate around the face

A Plate around the face

Just a quick blurb on making a "Faceplate" to surround the audio video components.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

How was that for a quick and short start?!

Attachment 7276

This is actually what I mean by the "faceplate" surrounding the components. I had to do three others just this last week so I thought I would show you the set up and progress in jigs and fixtures.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Shaz
    Here is how

That is a very clean and professional look. Well done!

Great job on the face plate. It blends nicely.

Thank you Gentlemen, for the kind words.
    Let us first consider the options... Components visible or hidden. If they go behind doors they still look like this

Attachment 7282

when the door is opened or retracted. What I would like to share is merely the way I go about dressing up the area around the pretty little faces of all the neatly spaced components. The results will be something like this...

Attachment 7283

Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how

The face plate really gives the equipment a profesional look.
    Jim

The face plate enhances the entire area, I agree.
    The reason I put this thread in "jigs and fixtures" is because there are several jigs necessary to do this job.
    With accurate jigs, proper measurements, and good technique you too can make faceplates of your own for fun, friends and profit...Send only $9.99 ........Or I can come to your home or job site for only the cost of air fare and ground transportation, room and board for two days and a large but necessary fee...
    I use 1/4" plywood most of the time, birch, oak, maple, mahogany or whatever matches the unit. I use 3/4" material for the shelves thus I have at least 3/4" between holes when done cutting. Since most components are 17" wide + or - ,I try to accomodate a 20" wide face plate or more when building the unit giving me 1 1/2" on each side.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Shaz,

As always, beautiful, well thought out, and inspiring work.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Thanks Rennie, glad you like it.

Let us imagine all components are in place.
    We need to measure the hole size that we intend to cover, considering the method we plan to use to mount our faceplate. That may be gone over in another thread. With this thread it is the intent to show some tips on how to cut the holes.
    Measuring the components and their placement. I use a story pole for the vertical and one for the horizontal.
    My horizontal is usually 18 1/2" - 19" long. That way I can flush it at the left side and mark it on the right end without too large of a piece of wood.
    Attachment 7410 As can be seen I mark the exact size with a tick mark then number the line according to the position of the component. When I go to lay it out on the 1/4" plywood I will add 1/8" in the over all width.
    Shaz
    Here is how

This photo is more easily viewable, it is a vertical story pole for the components, which indicates the vertical face, top and bottom, positioned on the shelf. The feet are usually set back so you don't need make allowances for them with the thin 1/4" ply.

Attachment 7431

With the vertical pole I have already added 1/8" above and 1/8" below the actual faces and I check each component on both left and right side to know if they are set level. Also, with this story pole I set it at the correct height that the faceplate will be sitting, so that I can reproduce these marks directly onto the faceplate. I am often unclear with my explanations, as when I reread them, I some times scratch my . Ask if you need clarity.
    Shaz
    Last edited by Robert Schaubhut; 04-17-2007 at 12:20 AM.
    Shaz
    Here is how