Well, things fell apart

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
At least for the pork butt, the bone slipped right out, fell apart and was moist and tender. :D

2014-07-06 17.00.43.jpg 2014-07-06 17.02.02.jpg 2014-07-06 17.10.18.jpg

I had a patient fan awaiting her treat, as always it fun to see her carrying around a bone the size of her head.
2014-07-06 17.00.47.jpg 2014-07-06 17.03.04.jpg

The brisket turned out good too, but had started with a new brand of pellets, which kept jamming up the feed and messing with my temps. Also was a sugar maple pellet, so didn't get much of a ring. This went into the fridge and will run it through the slicer tomorrow night.
2014-07-06 19.10.52.jpg2014-07-06 19.13.05.jpg

Killing me too, Josh. I gotta invest in the meat and give it a go. Brent, I am going to need remedial instructions. Meat is too expensive to make mistakes. Besides, I don't have a dog!

Killing me too, Josh. I gotta invest in the meat and give it a go. Brent, I am going to need remedial instructions. Meat is too expensive to make mistakes. Besides, I don't have a dog!

I made some brisket last thursday that was so easy it wasn't funny...

Both hunks o' meat look great, Darren. :thumb:

Brent's right...brisket is pretty easy if you have a good smoker and good temp control. And if you toss a bone like that out in your yard, rest assured you'll have a dog soon enough. :D

(Personally, I don't like to give dogs bones. I had a friend who worked at a vet clinic who told me too many stories of surgery on dogs with perforated intestines that were caused by bone fragments. I also had to remove a knife-edged bone chunk that was wedged between the rear molars of one of our dobermans years ago, and that also helped to convince me to stop giving my dogs bones. That said, I doubt Darren's little dog is at much risk of hurting itself with that pork bone. Unless he drops it on his little foot, lol)

Sliced up all the brisket tonight, looks dry here, but it was in the fridge over night to make slicing easier. I heated some up for dinner, boy was it tender and juicy. ;)

2014-07-07 18.27.48.jpg

Had 5 plate fulls like that, vacuum sealed, and froze 4 of them (about 1 1/2 lbs each) for later consumption.

Looks great to me! Must have been a big one!

They had a big ole full brisket at the grocery store, but wanted an obscene amount of money for it, like 11$-12$ PER POUND! Heck, I can get really great cuts of meat at costco for a lot less than that.

The ones I cooked up were smaller pieces, about 4# each, at much more reasonable prices.

Have you ever smoked a corned beef? Gotta say, I have and it makes stocking up on them around St. Paddy's day when they are on sale a very appealing idea.

Supposedly smoked corned beef = pastrami? Dunno. But it tastes great.

Have you ever smoked a corned beef? Gotta say, I have and it makes stocking up on them around St. Paddy's day when they are on sale a very appealing idea.

Supposedly smoked corned beef = pastrami? Dunno. But it tastes great.

Yup, usually stock up when they go on sale, but didn't seem to go on sale this year, don't think the local grocer bought as much. I think they are a bit too salty myself. I've tried not adding the spice packet and letting them sit in plain water for a day to help bring down the salt content, but didn't make much difference.

...I think they are a bit too salty myself. I've tried not adding the spice packet and letting them sit in plain water for a day to help bring down the salt content, but didn't make much difference.

I wonder if soaking in plain water with a couple of sliced potatoes would help? Don't potatoes help draw salt out of foods?

We've had good results removing salt by soaking in warm water{warm helps the salt dissolve better} The potato tip works as well as/or using a turnip or two. Change the water & rinse the brisket before soaking again. We soak for about 30 minutes per pound with the water change and rinse for each time period or every hour or so depending on the old memory.

We usually add the included seasoning packet to the water/beer bath in the drip pan, and make a rub using paprika, garlic powder and some cayenne & black pepper.If your looking for a more traditional seasoning, use/add coriander & pepper corns.

Well, results are in, brought some in for the co-workers to try and all was consumed. I actually took some down to our cafe chefs, two of which do bbq competitions, and asked for honest feedback...all had good things to say. These guys live and breath cooking, even have a smoker for our cafe that they cook up bbq for on Fridays. Only negative was that I didn't bring more.