Thread: Finally Chainsaws!

Finally Chainsaws!

About a year ago I got some wood and I needed to get some work done on my chainsaws, my old Husqvarna 185CD saw that I use in my chainsaw mill needed a bunch of new stuff, new bar, new drive sprocket, new clutch drum, fuel line, sparkplug, bar, chain, etc, it was used up. I also had come across a abused but fixable Husqvarna 3120 XP that is the biggest saw that Husky makes, I got it for a steal, but is was in bad shape. Someone had run the saw for an extended period of time with the chain brake engaged, the brake strap was burned up, the paint on the side cover was burnt, the Husky sticker as bubbled, there was lots of damage to the drive side of the saw, but checking the piston and taking off the top end showed that the internals were good. The bar was shot and so was the chain. As tempting as it is to keep this saw, I'm going to sell it, I have the 185 (84cc) does just fine for the majority of the milling I ever do, the 3120 (119cc) is kind of overkill. The 3120XP sells new for about $2900 here (yeah, really) so I figure I should be able to get about $1000 for the saw with little trouble.

So it took a long time to get all the parts, I ordered them last spring and some parts did not arrive until the fall, I the got busy with other stuff and only now I've be able to do the work. I rebuilt both carbs, new drive bearings, new drive sprockets, new bars, new chains, spark plugs, fuel lines etc.

Got them both buttoned up last night

An 18" bar on the 185CD and a 28" bar on the 3120XP, when I sell the bigger saw I'll be selling only the power head, I'll keep the longer 28" bar to use on the mill with the smaller saw. I don't plan on using the 185CD off the mill much as it does not have a chain brake.

It is good to have these done, now I have to go and buy some fresh gas and make some 2-stroke smoke!

The other reason I have chainsaws is they are an invaluable rescue tool in time of major earthquakes, most of the old houses are made from what is basically a 4x4 they are very hard and not easy to cut through, a chainsaw is a good thing to have.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Can you ever have enough chain saw's? As soon as you sell the big guy, up will pop a situation that makes you wish you had it back

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Can you ever have enough chain saw's? As soon as you sell the big guy, up will pop a situation that makes you wish you had it back
    Yeah, well that could happen, but my 185CD will run the 28" bar as well, an 84cc saw is not what I'd call "Small"
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Yeah, well that could happen, but my 185CD will run the 28" bar as well, an 84cc saw is not what I'd call "Small"
    I was gonna question that, but then I looked up the specs on my Sthil MS 390, which is what I use to run a 24" bar. Turns out my saw is 64 cc, so yeah, 84 cc should definitely be able to push the 28" bar.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I was gonna question that, but then I looked up the specs on my Sthil MS 390, which is what I use to run a 24" bar. Turns out my saw is 64 cc, so yeah, 84 cc should definitely be able to push the 28" bar.
    Yeah, especially when you consider that my 185CD is old school, slower rpm, longer stroke, thus more torque, and when it comes to milling torque, not HP or chainspeed is king
    William Arthur Ward