Scrolling Along!

Paul Douglass

Lately I have been interested in learning scrolling and Intarsia. I have done a few minor things with my scroll saw in the past, but nothing at all complex. So here is my first attempt of a pattern I downloaded. It was fun, but I think I will enjoy it a lot more when I learn to relax as I’m cutting. Still a little tense.

IMG_2362.jpg

Paul, it's a beautiful! :thumb: Hard to imagine this is your first scroll work. If there is one thing you have besides your woodworking talents it's patience & perseverance. Scrolling & Intarsia will be a natural for you. Looking forward to some great work!

I picked up a nice DeWalt scroll saw thinking that I would really get into it, but found that I don't have the patience for it. Oh well, another tool waiting to be used.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the nice comments.

Al, I had a scroll saw of some forum for the past 35 years. I had a little Craftsman that was a mess, rarely used it. Than several years ago I got a mood and bought a DeWalt. Rarely used it. Fact only used it 4 times. Than a few weeks ago I just thought I'd like to give it a more serious shot. I upgraded the saw with three item I thought would be important. A magnifying lamp (HF for $40), a dead man foot switch and a lift for the arm. Really improved the process. Any, that is my interest right now.

Paul, is the lift really that beneficial vs. a block of wood? I recall discussing the lift before, but don't remember the make. Please refresh my memory as I might just get one.

Beautiful work Paul. I remember using Dad's craftsman growing up, I still feel the vibrations in my arms today. ;) I've thought about picking up a more modern one, sounds and looks like the dewalt is at least usable. Nice tips on the accessories too, all sound like they would improve the process. :thumb:

Paul, is the lift really that beneficial vs. a block of wood? I recall discussing the lift before, but don't remember the make. Please refresh my memory as I might just get one.

The lift is a convenience. I had a block of wood with a handle on it, but it seemed to walk away some times. I'm very happy I got on, just more convenient and with the slanted table I now have I don't have to worry about my block of wood sliding off the table. There are only two lifts attachment available that I know of, either one will work good.

http://www.jimdandy.com/products.html

or

http://papasworkshop.net/tc/1-tools/1-the-lifter.html

I bought the one from Jim Dandy products because it was the only one I knew about at the time. I was going to make one, but for the price, it wasn't worth the trouble. It works well. The only problem I see with it is it uses a spring at the rear and I think in time it will wear off the paint on the saw, no biggie but if I had to find something wrong with it that would be my only complaint. So far it hasn't do it, so maybe I'm wrong.

Now that I have the foot switch and the mag. lamp, I feel they are a necessity, if you plan on doing much scrolling.

Beautiful work Paul. I remember using Dad's craftsman growing up, I still feel the vibrations in my arms today. ;) I've thought about picking up a more modern one, sounds and looks like the dewalt is at least usable. Nice tips on the accessories too, all sound like they would improve the process. :thumb:

The DeWalt is rated as a very good saw. I've read some about there being a type 1, which I gather is an older model and the one I think I have, (I really haven't studied it enough to know the difference) and it is the recommended one. I've read that the newer ones are prone to have problems. Again I don't know the difference and how true it is. For the price, I have seen several, little used Hawk saws on Craigs list that I could have gotten for the same price or cheaper. I passed one up last year, like new their bigger model, for $300! I'm still kicking myself. A friend of mine bought it and he doesn't let me forget it. If I ever get that chance again, I will grab it and, nothing wrong with having two, less blade changes.

And, if any of you decide to give scrolling some more time, let me highly recommend buying Flying Dutchman blades from Mike's Workshop. What great blades and Mike is one of the most pleasant guys there is to deal with. I put in an order online early yesterday morning and within an hour he called me to ask me a question about my order. Great guy.

Beautiful piece of work, Paul. :thumb:

Similar to you, I've had my DW788 for many years but have only used it for small items to add to larger projects. One of these days, maybe I'll get around to doing more with it. :huh:

Very nice piece, Paul. :thumb: I can see how relaxation would be important when it comes to scrolling. Woodturning is similar in that regard.

Lift Arm made & works beautifully. Thanks again Paul for the link - clever device indeed!

Now start using it! Make a flag, I ready to start painting my second one now. 100 stars I've cut out and mine are reduced in size so it would fit my cart. Do you have a foot switch? I love the one I installed recently.

In case any of you missed it, Frank Carey from Papa's Workshop has posted an offer for a 10% discount on his lifter over in the COmmercial Post Zone:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums...-amp-Delta-40-690-Scroll-Saw-Arm-Support-Lift

:thumb:

I saw that and actually wish I had known about it before I bought the one I did. However, mine does what it is suppose to do and does it well.

Looking good Paul. You're right on target about the "relax" part. Like any activity, practice will breed confidence and that will lead to a less "white-knuckle" grip on the material. I still have to catch myself and take a breath, let my shoulders down and loosen my neck now and again. It is easy to get over-focused while trying to stay on the line. :)