Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of hinge to use?

What type of hinge to use?

I am building an aquarium stand to fit a square aquarium with a 36"x36" base. Part of the design uses 4x4 corners
    Here is a rough outline of the bottom structure
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stand Bottom.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	83757

My issue is I want the finished look to have doors that run right to the edge so that each side has two doors that then encompass the full face.
    This is what I want it to look like but with mine because it is square I would like this look on 3 of the 4 sides.

Name:	ADAstyleStand_full.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	83758

What kind of hinges can I use that would work for the doors?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ADAstyleStand_11_thumb.jpg  

Any leaf hinge would work. Or did you also want hidden hinges? Where the barrel of the hinge does not show? Then look at Soss hinges, though you will find they might also be spelled $o$$.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Mark, Welcome to the forum. I think Carol is correct, any leaf hinge you find at the hardware store should work.

Name:	41GEj6vQXBL._SY300_.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	83760

For a thinner hinge spacing you could use some of these.

Name:	doorhardware06-2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	83759

Can you describe the design a bit more and what kind of weight it will be holding? Is the drawing you have upside down or will the aquarium sit on the posts themselves?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Not only are Soss hinges expensive, they are tricky to install, and the use of deck hangers rather than mortises on the legs suggest you are looking for quick and simple. If you are using construction lumber, the moisture content will be very high - 10-20% - rather than the 6% or so we use to make furniture, meaning the legs will twist and warp a little as the piece acclimates to the house. Your hinges need to hold the doors slightly away from the legs so there is less chance that the doors will be pushed out by the legs.

Don't get tempted by door hinges - they tend to have a lot a play in the hinge pin, and won't hold the door as well aligned as you want with a precision fit set of doors like in your picture. The pseudo brass hinges from the Borg will work better, perhaps surface mounted for the spacing away from the legs that I suggest.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

If you want a pair of doors on three openings, you'll need to use Blum Compact 33 hinges or similar. They face mount on any width of face frame. But, when you have doors on the side, and on the front, the edge of one door would have to show. These hinges are concealed which gives the clean appearance that you are after.

Thank you so much everyone with your help on this as I am very inexperienced in this field and greatly appreciate your advice. From what I gather a leaf hinge or something like a Blum Compact 33 are my best options. My concern is when I mount the hinge on the inside of the post there is roughly 4” from the hinge to the outside edge of the post and cabinet.
    Here is a picture of what I mean. The picture is my little mockup showing one side of the cabinet with the two doors. I made them transparent so we can see how the posts and hinges line up behind. In the bottom left I show an arrow indicating the 4” distance that I am concerned about.
    If I open the doors out of the screen (towards you) wouldn’t the far left edge of the door hit the post and not allow the door to open? Or maybe I am not understanding where I should be mounting the hinges.

Name:	Aq measurement.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	83917

You are right. They wouldn't open. The pivot point (barrel) of the hinge has to be at the edge of the leg post.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Carol is correct, they need to pivot at the edge of the door, so place the hinges between the door and corner post as shown. The barrel part of the hinge should just protrude past the end of the doors.

Name:	Aq-measurement.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	83920
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

If the hinges are between my posts and doors wouldn't that cause a gap about the thickness of the hinge? Or would I need to somehow inset them into the posts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In response to Darren's idea of having the barrel part protrude just past the end wouldn't that be quite noticeable? I would have a nice flush side that is all dark colors but then the hinges would be exposed on the corners. As well how would that work on the corners where two sides that have opening doors meet? That's a lot of hardware that I would think might detract from the look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk