Not a bad return

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this on kickstarter, a little stick to wrap your headphones on. He's got 67 backers so far, probably an average of $8 - $9 each. Nice little profit for what is involved in cutting two angled kerfs, dividing up into sticks, adding round overs, and branding. Doesn't mention a finish other than sanding, but a quick lacquer or seal coat wouldn't add much time. Postage for most would be $3 or so, so I guess it's getting down to minimum wage, but key would be mass production to save on time and raise the profit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bencrabtree/waya-hardwood-headphone-wrapper?ref=category

Of course it probably only stands out to a woodworker, but the fact that the saw kerf doesn't have a flat bottom bugs me. They should have used a different blade, IMO. Cool, simple idea, though. :thumb:

You can bet if they go into production it will be plastic. For the bottom of the kerf, I would drill before I cut to the bottom is rounded, wouldn't wear on the cords like square corners.

Heh. Glad I'm not the only one who redesigns these things.

A coworker bought a very expensive gaming table (custom, "heirloom quality" blah blah). When he was showing it off to me I had to avoid cringing a little. The dovetails on the drawers where really horrible like they didn't know how to adjust their jig atall and had been filled (and not a great color match either) both sides and front with about a bit over 1/16" of putty. I'd be embarrassed if I had hand cuts that looked half as bad. Not to mention they were through dovetails on unfaced drawer fronts instead of half blind.

In this case it's maybe very slightly more forgivable because at least it's not that expensive of a piece... But really the cost of doing it somewhat better wouldn't be hugely higher..