Inspiration

I really like the first box! That is a beautiful piece!

CNC programming has really changed from the days when I worked with it back in the 70'. I can recall the first machine I ever programmed, a MilwaukeeMatic 5-axis machine. The "flying tool change" was my "signature" LOL. This would catch the operator's attention for sure! LOL

So now we have the newest generation(s) of CNC machining, Laser machining, 3D Printing, etc. I'm wondering if there is a standard "commonality" of software that is compatible/transferable with these latest technologies???

Last edited:
Al,

G-code it still g-code. The basic stuff has not changed since the 70's.

What has changed is the CAM software that generates the g-code from a computer generated model.

Also the CAD - that generates the model that we use to create the g-code has changed.

Along with that is the skill sets to use those CAD and CAM software programs is changed.

I am an old school guy that has learned to work with the new school school stuff.

I have been solidly on both sides of the fence.

I also write "family of parts" g-code CNC programs in industry. These programs have logic built in. Now the operator inputs a part number into the control and the machine makes the part. I have one program out in the shop now that makes 100 variations of a part - one program.

Al,

This is also a bit different than manufacturing of mechanical parts.

I am a mechanical parts manufacturer where I earn my money.
For the most part, that looks the same as it did in the 70's with the exception of new machines.
Cars look as different today as the 70's cars - same with new machines.

No - No -

This CNC stuff is NOT - that stuff.
It's not really comparable to the mechanical stuff either.

I use all the mechanical software at work, and even have it at home, but it is no good on the artsy stuff.
I have different software for the artsy stuff, and still learning.

I recall enjoying the development & building of FOP programs for a number of CNC machines from the MM to extra large HBMs (22' Vert x 60' Horiz), dual opposing SBMs ( 22' Dia. x 60' L), ARMs (4' x 60'), etc. for large steam turbine generators used at nuclear power stations (Seabrook was one). Simply enter the variable parameters into the FOP to generate new programs, or call up previously made programs.

Al,

The abbreviations are a foreign language to me. I understand that you worked with really big stuff.

I am on the small side of things. Some of the stuff I make in swiss turn machines is .150 long and .03 diameter, with TOTAL tolerance of .0001. I work also in the sub-micron range -- below 40 millionths. We are developing a process right now to make setting masters to ANSI standards, where the total tolerance on roundness and straightness is as low as 10 millionths total tolerance. BUT - that is at work.

At home - I do the artsy stuff where tolerance is whatever I can sand in with 40 grit, 60 grit - 100 - 150 - 220.

Honestly - the woodworker is NOT going to be replaced by CNC. The machine is a tool - nothing more.

Woodworking will always need the skill of the woodworker.

CNC cannot select the wood - account for wood movement - cannot "see" the grain - will not design - proportion - assemble.

Can you imaging CNC trying to put a buffed finish on a band sawn box or create a a beautiful guitar finish.

I read posts on the CNC forums of people that set out to CNC - thinking that the CNC does the work. Lots of interesting stories. I try to help them. I am old school too - and also new school. I still like my hand tools and use them often - right along with the CNC. My #3 Stanley Bailey from 1929 is well acquainted with my CNC router from 2006

The CNC with Modeling CAD and CAM - brings in a whole new dimension to woodworking - giving abilities that were otherwise not available. It's not here to replace anything - rather it's here to enhance the existing talent. Well that's my 60 year old take on it.

CNC is just a new tool - like a power drill was, as it replaces the egg beater drill, or bit brace, or like the planer and jointer as it replaced the hand plane.

while I agree its another tool, I believe its way past just another tool.
There may be a lot of skill needed to apply finishes, but hand carving a beautiful design on a piece of wood that so few lack the talent to do, will be childs play for an experienced knowledgable cnc operater.

You guys that jel well with those machines are fortunate. You will make beautiful pieces that will last forever.

Oops, sorry. Highlighting all the abbreviations even though you know some of them, but others may not.

I recall enjoying the development & building of FOP (Family of Parts) programs for a number of CNC (Computerized Numerical Control) machines from the MM (MilwaukeeMatic) to extra large HBMs (Horizontal Boring Mills - milling machines) (22' Vert x 60' Horiz), dual opposing SBMs (Stub Boring Mills - turning machines) ( 22' Dia. x 60' L), ARMs (Adjustable Rail Mill - milling machine) (4' x 60'), etc. for large steam turbine generators used at nuclear power stations (Seabrook was one). Simply enter the variable parameters into the FOP to generate new programs, or call up previously made programs.

You do indeed work on small parts, just the opposite of what I once worked on. Just as the really large parts are impressive due to their huge sizes, I think the small parts are just as fascinating due to their very small size & tight tolerances, some of which you might not be able to see.