A Double Chest of Drawers

Dave Richards

For my morning SketchUp practice I decided to draw up a model of a double chest I came across the other day. The original is dated to around 1850 and was made out of long leaf pine. It is well worn but appears to be in pretty good condition. It could be modified replacing the bottom six drawers with doors and make a nice sideboard/china cabinet. It would be a good "unplugged" project.

Double Chest by Dave_Richards_

Last edited:
Thanks Paul. The shadows are easy since SketchUp just puts them in when you turn them on.

This model should be within the capability of even those who are fairly new to SketchUp. It's all drawn with native tools and no fancy gymnastics. The only thing that isn't native is the line style I used. I made that myself to look a bit hand drawn.

This lowboy, on the other hand, might take a little more. ;)

Lowboy by Dave_Richards_

Last edited:
Ken i also spotted that and thought "Yeah Right Rob....you better start morning sketchup practice" then i thought about how i best not go to sleep if i am going to give it ago with all my other morning activities it would be night before i get done with Sketchup. :rofl:

Dave on a light hearted note i can see this design being a winner with the younger generation. One assumption required. The draws on one side do not open unless all the draws on the other side are closed. This way when the draws on one side are left half or more open, the whole chest of draws does not teeter on the brink of toppling over of course assuming that contents in both sides are equal weight. Now finding the wall space for that design in a room well that's another thing altogether.

Rob, I think I'd screw the thing to the wall so it can't tip over. what's the fun of a chest of drawers if you can't pull the drawers out and use them like stairs? :D

where did you come across the original, Dave?
I like the design, but not how the front bottom is flat. I would think that would end up rocking unless you have an exceptionally flat floor...

I thought about that, too. Art. It would be easy enough to make the sides a little taller so there could be some feet.

I don't remember which site I found it on. I look at a bunch of different furniture sites from time to time. I have a collection of images for reference and added this one. Here's one of the views I had to work with.

Lol on my phone i could not see Kens comment until i scrolled down, i nearly spat coffee all over the show when i saw what he said because that was my first thought....oooo comfy....but.....how the heck am i going to get out of it. Needs a fighter pilot eject spring :)

Dave thanks for your posts i appreciate them. That Gary video has me all wound up. Before i touch the car today i am cutting a dovetail. Way easier than a 5 minute sketchup session . :) and it makes sawdust.

What did Robert Duval say in Apocalypse Now on the beach......"I love the smell of saw dust in the morning :) lol".

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk