attic closet bathroom reno, new shower, etc.

allen levine

small house, gotta make the most out of it.
Im not building extensions on my house for a shower stall upstairs.
we took out the old plastic/glass enclosed stall in the high corner, and are having the entire space tiled and custom glass shower door/wall.

We are not upgrading vanity or anything else except to have new floor tiles and the back knee wall tiled to match the shower stall.
Eventually, I will work on a new vanity, and Ill repaint(there are new holes that the contractor needed to run new electric lines)the remaining walls(in back of sink/toilet and small wall near door) later this year, Im in no rush to give myself more work.

tile guy finished the shower floor today, in a pic, that's the wall tile we selected.

All the water lines, electric lines, all were moved, this was work I never could have done myself due to lack of experience, not to mention watching the tile guy, his work was like watching an artist. laying cement, building the dam.

as you can see, its an akward space, but I fit, and it works. owning a small cape sucks, but its big enough for the wife and me.

Ill post a couple of pics when the tile guy finishes up tues or weds.

contractor told me 2 weeks wait after that for custom glass.

bathroom is so small, I couldn't get a full shot of it all.

Attachments

• 100_1717.jpg
    100_1717.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_1718.jpg
    100_1718.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_1719.jpg
    100_1719.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1720.jpg
    100_1720.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
It's always nice watching others work, specially if they are good at what they do. That's going to be a nice little shower. I like the tile choice.

This will be a fun project to follow. :thumb:

I really like the noveau-industrial light fixture you've already installed. It makes a strong design statement, with a hint of sass and an aftertaste of man's inhumanity to man.

But that's just one man's opinion.

:rofl:

Allen what you manage to do in your home could make a great home reno book.
I agree its something else watching a pro.
I will never forget Dave Hawksford at Larrys place showing us how to deal with a knot in a scrap piece of walnut. Brick laying is another craft i admire when you see a pro bricky.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

when he left after his first look at the bathroom, he was headed downstairs, saw my built ins in the attic bedroom and said, wow, great built ins, I love built ins, I make them for my home. who did your work, its great.
I told him I did, but he already made my day. ego boost. (he examined them, liked the drawer fronts)
he gave me the boost I needed to go out and work on my sons office cabs to get them going. Need to get the backs on so I can tackle frames and doors.

Attachments

• offcabs 001.JPG
    offcabs 001.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 36
the tile work is completed, we haven't cleaned it all up yet.
Theres still some sheetrock compound needs sanding, door frame needs to finish trim, (I should have done the door refit myself, I would have done it faster than the guy who did it, and the trim would be up and finished, seems different guys do different jobs, and the glass is on order, 2 weeks.
this is the finished shower stall in the attic closet.
dormering out the section of house would have run me a small fortune. Id need variances, permits, and then the cost of doing the work, not to mention the inconvenience of construction, I just couldn't do it.
I was way too uncomfortable with workers in and out of my bedroom trampling back and forth all day long.

Attachments

• 100_1725.jpg
    100_1725.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_1730.jpg
    100_1730.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_1731.jpg
    100_1731.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 30
I am in the middle of remodeling my house right now - BUT - I remodeled my bathroom in 2007.

I sure is nice to sit back (sorta) and watch for a change.

I will be doing my Daughters bathroom in a year or two - thinking about doing tile. I like what you have there - maybe I will do that in her house.

I believe I insulted one of the bosses yesterday afternoon.
Its not the boss that is my friend, his partner.
He was here to put up the door moldings and basically finish it all up.
His carpentry work is excellent. He is a swell person. tops. My intention wasn't to insult him.
My shower head, the one I spend nearly 600 dollars on for head, water controller and parts, seemed to lack any pressure.
After this huge expense, I wasn't going to settle for a cruddy experience.
He was playing around with the equipment, taking off the plate, and I questioned him a a water restricter.
The water restricter didn't even have the center punched, end of story.

I wasn't happy, so I called my buddy who just happens to be my plumber. We are friends for 25 years, not close friends, but friendly enough.
He explained to me quickly what he thought the problem was with the restrictor, and it seemed the contractor wasn't all that familiar, so I told him that I just spoke to my buddy. I think it kinda insulted him. Like I went above his head because he lacked the experience or something.

regardless, it works fine now. It wasn't my intention to insult him, only to assist him because I know my buddy knows everything on earth there is to know about plumbing, as he started learning from his dad when he was in grade school, and hes 60 now.

A man who is insulted when caught not knowing something, chooses to be offended. Its not about you. Que sera, sera.

Carol beat me to the answer. Nice of you to be sensitive to his feelings, but if he's offended by your suggestion or assistance, it's clearly not your problem - it's his.

Great-looking tile work, by the way. :thumb: