can't let leftovers go to waste....

Dan Noren

Staff member
a couple of days ago i decided that since i had an abundance of leftovers, that i would make a few (12) desktop size clocks. the design of the top part stayed the same, with a rounded top, but the base went through a few changes, finally winding up deciding on a base similar to the one going to the fair. they are red and white oak, and walnut. as for a finish i've decided to go with blo and shellac. now i just have to order the clock inserts that i have my eye on, and they'll be all set. a nice addition to the craft show offerings.

Attachments

• 001 clock template.jpg
    001 clock template.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 002 all clock parts cut.jpg
    002 all clock parts cut.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 003 clock faces with inset.jpg
    003 clock faces with inset.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 004 clock test assembly.jpg
    004 clock test assembly.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 106
Dan cool idea to fill the store shelves, i would like to suggest something. Knock some of those edges off with a router bit, then pick up or make some small moulding and trim the inside edges of the base off as well as bottom piece. I know it means extra work and material but will add to the look and value as well as appeal in my view. The base will look like it has more heft to it than it actually has. Will make it more appealing in my view.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I agree, my problems are Im a little hesitant to work with really small pieces as I don't have the hand control I once had.
I don't like any pieces under six-8 inches. thin pieces also bother me.
but I like the clock idea, shoot me a pm whenever you can, Id like to know who you get clock parts from(I know one big company)

...Im a little hesitant to work with really small pieces as I don't have the hand control I once had. I don't like any pieces under six-8 inches.

I use the large clamps made from two pieces of wood with two screws... clamp the work piece flush to the side of the clamp (lay the clamp on it's side on a table, and place the work piece flat on the table. Once tight, you are 8-10 inches or more away from the cutter, and if you have an accident it is a small cutter ding in the wooden clamp. I run pieces as small as 1 inch square on the shaper (think router table) with a router bit with bearing to keep it aligned.

i gave the roundover idea a thought or two rob, but as that part is only 3" wide, and 4.5" tall, not a candidate for freehanding with a router. as i don't have a router table, i was going to hit the edges with a bit of 320 grit to soften the edges somewhat. the base parts are only 3/8" thick, so any extra trimwork would be a touch on the difficult side.

after sanding the stuff for the backgammon set, and the side table for the fair, took a minute or two at the bandsaw and spindle sander, and rounded off the tops of the clock uprights. after this i was finished for the day, and caught pop just kicking it back in the yard, waiting for my brother and the nephew who were coming to take him to lunch.

Attachments

• pop just kickin back.jpg
    pop just kickin back.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 005 clock upright parts rounded off.jpg
    005 clock upright parts rounded off.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 48
after all of the fun with the playing surfaces and panels, i still had some time left. so i sanded all of the parts and assembled the 12 clocks. now all that is left is to hit them with the blo and shellac.

Attachments

• 006 all clocks sanded and assembled.jpg
    006 all clocks sanded and assembled.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 34
Looks like Pop has this woodworking stuff all figured out. Just kick back and watch you do all the work, lol. :D

i thought i would finish up the day on a high note, so i hit all of the little clocks with blo. tomorrow i order the inserts.

Attachments

• 007 all clocks oiled.jpg
    007 all clocks oiled.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 42
finished up the shellac work yesterday, and hit them with the pledge today. just waiting on the clock inserts, which i will be ordering on friday.

Attachments

• 008 shellac on and ready for inserts.jpg
    008 shellac on and ready for inserts.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 35
got the clock inserts today, and noticed that there is a wee bit of a problem where the fit is concerned. looks like i'll have to order a new set, and get rapidly creative to put the little guys to good use.

Attachments

• 009 something not quite right.jpg
    009 something not quite right.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 30
after giving it some thought, the design for the clock for the state fair kept coming to mind. i figured i would do it a bit differently, with a walnut frame, a red oak block for the clock, suspended by a pair of red oak dowels. at first i wanted to keep it simple, but what fun is there in that?

Attachments

• small clock 2.jpg
    small clock 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 14