Computer Security Systems

Paul Douglass

My subscription of Avast Computer Security is running out in a few days. I have an issue with the interface between it and Thunderbird mail program I use that I don't really understand and have not been able to clear up. No I haven't given much time to resolving it, nor have I sought help. I've read through their online forum and it seems to be pretty common, with not real good/easy solution, and I have not figured out if it is an Avast problem or a Thunderbird problem. Okay I don't know why I went through all that, fixing that is not my intention of this post.

What I am really here for is recommendations on security software to install. Does any one care to make a recommendation before I renew or not? I will not be without some kind of virus protection. I use to rely on what came with Window, but after a virus destroyed my system, I won't be without addition protection.

Let me be the first to get this out of the way.

Get a Mac. :D

Security issues with the PC and Microsoft was just one of the reasons I migrated to Apple. But you have what you have. I do heartedly recommend you stay light years away from Norton. Been gone from PC too long to offer any real help here.

As for the mailing handling issue. I have had a Gmail account for years and years. They have excellent spam filters and easy email processing. That was an upgrade from Thunderbird for me. Best news. Gmail is free. I can give you the invite if you want to try it.

And to be honest, I have Cocktail for my Mac (~$20) that I run every Sunday. Keeps things humming. It is not 'security' software but it repairs dumb stuff that websites often leave behind. And I also have suffered system crashes and lost everything. But only with the PC. Not the Mac. Yet. :)

After having problems (resource hogging) with both Norton and McAfee, I switched to Trend Micro. It runs seamlessly - I don't even know it's there, except for its weekly reporting, where it says how many things it's intercepted, and how many junk cookies it's removed.

Roger, your experience with Norton products is a rarity. Like Jim, I've seen both Norton and McAfee bring numerous computers to their knees with out of control resource usage. I won't let either brand on any of my computers.

Paul, I've been happy for years with the free version of AVG. I don't know how it works (or doesn't) with Thunderbird. Although I don't use Gmail (I'm running Outlook), I do recommend it as a good free way to deal with email.

First, what is antivirus? MY computers, run Linux (although some I have to use run that gaming os). Years ago, when I ran Windows, I also used the free AVG and the ONLY time I ever got a virus, it was specifically attacking antivirus software. That was when I found out about online antivirus scanning, which became a backup/secondary method for me. Prior to that I think the previous antivirus, was MSAV, back when Microsoft included it with their products.

My brother keeps wanting me to buy a Windows system, and game with him (one specific game). I throw up a little when looking at the price (were talking tool money here).

Another vote for AVG Free. Have used it for years on several different computers. It's on all three that I use now: office desktop, shop desktop and laptop.

Well I decided to try the AVG "Free" version. Got it all loaded, but is says it is a trial and I have 29 days left. Did I do something wrong? And doesn't AVG have anything that shows it is up and running, like the Avast has the little ball at the bottom that spins around when it is checking something? And does AVG auto update or do I have to tell it to?

Thanks.

Well I decided to try the AVG "Free" version. Got it all loaded, but is says it is a trial and I have 29 days left. Did I do something wrong? And doesn't AVG have anything that shows it is up and running, like the Avast has the little ball at the bottom that spins around when it is checking something? And does AVG auto update or do I have to tell it to?

Thanks.

Yep, you installed the trial version. Easy mistake to make, since they hide the free version pretty well. Try uninstalling the trial and installing this one:

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-AntiVirus-Free-2014/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

Be aware that at one or more points along the way, they will offer you an upgrade to the "Pro" version. You can simply decline those offers and end up with the basic anti-virus for free. (All of the upgrades will be offered as a FREE trial.) ;)

AVG will put a small icon in your system tray (lower right corner of the screen on most Windows machines) and occasionally pop up a small message saying it's scanning emails (if you've enabled that feature). Also, yes, by default it will auto-update.

I swim in a different river. I have used Eset for many many years now. Always buy a multi year 4 computer licence and its been an absolute success story for me. Low on resource use acts in the background and deals well with all the gremlins. Trick is also to stay away from strange sites. But it scans my email that i use outlook for and it scans anything i plug into the computer like a flash drive. Works out pretty cheap the way i do it.