Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cougar

Cougar

Could not believe they captured a Cougar yesterday in Grafton Ontario this town is on lake ontario half way between Toronto and Kingston.
    Not normally range of the Cougar.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

was she at least decent looking? how old?
    Human Test Dummy

Thanks Allen, someone had to say it. I live outside Los Angeles, CA and these creatures are more prominent only in the New York City area.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Mountain lions were part of the Ontario ecosystem until about the mid 1900s. They were overhunted, but we can always hope for a comeback.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Plenty of cougar around here as well.. Someone actually ran over a mountain lion about 15 miles from here this year, explained where some of the missing sheep in the area had gone (and they shoot one in Portland this spring). They where never plumb gone around this area though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Plenty of cougar around here as well.. Someone actually ran over a mountain lion about 15 miles from here this year, explained where some of the missing sheep in the area had gone (and they shoot one in Portland this spring). They where never plumb gone around this area though.
    ryan there was at least one in oregon around the umatilai forrest in 92,, and it was healtty looking then
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    was she at least decent looking? how old?
    Allen wins the Internet today!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ryan there was at least one in oregon around the umatilai forrest in 92,, and it was healtty looking then
    I'm hoping you were able to outrun it back then!

They definitely hang out in the hills around here in places, you'll sometimes see sign if you look closely when you're out hiking around. Definitely good to keep your eyes pealed, there's a lot of wild life out there.

it was on a dead fall next to a range fence, we didnt bother it and it left us alone to.. we had elk on our mind and maybe it did to
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

On the off chance someone takes me seriously - as a side note you should never ever run from a mountain lion! it triggers their "that's prey running from me" instinct. Generally the avoidance advice is the same as with a bear where you don't look it in the eye, but keep and eye on it and walk slowly backwards away from it. If it does attack you would want to fight back (which is contrary to most bear advice to play dead, although I reckon that that's situational as well) - grab a big stick or anything you can and swat away at it (and good luck!). There was an old rancher I knew as a kid who'd fought one off with his pocket knife after it attacked a hired hand - he had a certificate of bravery on the wall that his wife would show you when you went over (he was to modest to bring it up but it was a heck of a story).