Cougar

Rob Keeble

Could not believe they captured a Cougar yesterday in Grafton Ontario this town is on lake ontario half way between Toronto and Kingston.
Not normally range of the Cougar.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks Allen, someone had to say it. I live outside Los Angeles, CA and these creatures are more prominent only in the New York City area. ;)

Plenty of cougar around here as well.. Someone actually ran over a mountain lion about 15 miles from here this year, explained where some of the missing sheep in the area had gone (and they shoot one in Portland this spring). They where never plumb gone around this area though.

Plenty of cougar around here as well.. Someone actually ran over a mountain lion about 15 miles from here this year, explained where some of the missing sheep in the area had gone (and they shoot one in Portland this spring). They where never plumb gone around this area though.

ryan there was at least one in oregon around the umatilai forrest in 92,, and it was healtty looking then:)

ryan there was at least one in oregon around the umatilai forrest in 92,, and it was healtty looking then:)

I'm hoping you were able to outrun it back then! :eek:

They definitely hang out in the hills around here in places, you'll sometimes see sign if you look closely when you're out hiking around. Definitely good to keep your eyes pealed, there's a lot of wild life out there.

On the off chance someone takes me seriously - as a side note you should never ever run from a mountain lion! it triggers their "that's prey running from me" instinct. Generally the avoidance advice is the same as with a bear where you don't look it in the eye, but keep and eye on it and walk slowly backwards away from it. If it does attack you would want to fight back (which is contrary to most bear advice to play dead, although I reckon that that's situational as well) - grab a big stick or anything you can and swat away at it (and good luck!). There was an old rancher I knew as a kid who'd fought one off with his pocket knife after it attacked a hired hand - he had a certificate of bravery on the wall that his wife would show you when you went over (he was to modest to bring it up but it was a heck of a story).

The guy on 'Mountain Men" that chases cats with the hounds says they like to attack from behind. I think that might be true for all the big cats. People in India wear masks with faces on the back of their heads to deter tiger attacks, and there was another guy on one of the reality tv shows that was trying to scare away a jaguar from cattle herds in South America that put sharp sticks on his back pack as a deterrent. The mountain lions must have made a big come back. I hunted in Montana for several years back in the sixties and never heard of any encounters...they were very rare back then.

Last edited:
Well done Allen you get the prize. :thumb::thumb::rofl: But knowing where you live well it explains your thinking. Only two legged cougars that would be in the territory i mentioned would be the kind that need a wheelchair or walker to get about and attack anyone. :rofl:

Thats life in two worlds. ;)

Large parts of Detroit are abandonded, (the rest is just dangerous) and has been going back to nature

for the past few years. Maybe the cougar wandered over through the tunnel or bridge or something?

People say Detroit has pheasants and deer runing around. Cougars eat those, so I suppose they would

just follow them out from the woods of Michigan??

(btw, if that Cougar did come from Detroit, it isn't the first one--see video)