Danish Modern?

I know you're right, Dave. :thumb: I've just not invested the time (nor really had the need) to learn it that well yet.

slick, Dave. I watched the video and it was fascinating to see the process you followed to generate that.

I'm curious about the rest of the understructure. You focussed on the one leg, but is there also any short stretchers from side to side? All I can see is the long stretcher, and I'm not sure that is enough.

Art, I didn't find any good views to show the stretcher but there is something between the legs above the height of the long stretchers. From what little I could tell, I'm guessing it is a rail maybe 2 inches wide (tall). Based on the period in which the table was built, the rail and legs are probably joined with dowels. The top is probably attached to those rails with screws up through the bottom. Since they didn't really show in the photos, I didn't bother to draw them in. the original table is over 7' long but I made my model shorter to make the legs a little easier to see. The table was just an example to show how to draw a leg like that.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, great lesson i watched the video. You sure are a great teacher. Your way of explaining takes all the concerns out of doing it.

I like Danish design, always had an appeal to me and i like their usual use of light colored wood. Dont know what the original of this table was made from but those legs are cool. I wonder what the joint was between the stretcher and the leg. Could be a dowel pin or mortise tenon i guess. Dowel would make it easier surely.
Its interesting that the underside corners and edges of the table were not rounded over to match the curved legs and table topside edges.

Thanks for posting it and sharing how to draw it.

Thank you, Rob. It's nice to read your comments.

As to the table, I found it interesting that the top didn't seem to go with the legs, too. It's not just the ends. This piece was done in mahogany that was finished very dark. So not the light colored piece we commonly associate with Mid-Century Modern. As for the stretchers, I don't know for sure. It could be a dowel as a tenon or it might be a finger joint with the slots set vertically. Here's a picture of the original.

XXX_8984_1305840899_1.jpg