A couple of trusty steeds

My niece is expecting her first baby in September. I decided to make her a rocking horse as a baby present. My other niece has a two year old who I made a toy chest when she was born. I figured I couldn't just make one, so two are in the works. One will have cedar legs and the other spalted maple. The "body" will end up being 3" thick. So the thing won't weight a ton I used pine for the inside of the body and will clad that with some QS oak that I'll dye darker for a nice contrast. Here's a couple of pics of my progress so far.

cedar.jpgmaple horse.jpg

I got the sides cut, fit, and applied and a coat of finish on. I decided to dye the oak to make a bit of contrast with the legs so they stand out more. I've got the rocker cut and assembled and ready to put a coat of finish on tomorrow. Then I'll fit the horse to the rocker. I'll turn pegs for the hand holds and feet. I was at the local hardware store the other day and an 1" x 36" oak dowel was nine buck.:eek:

finish leg.jpgleg finish 2.jpgside view with finish.jpg

Yeah, these are definitely gonna NOT be your run of the mill rocking horses. :D You always seem to get ahold of some pretty wood, John. This is no exception. :thumb: