Shop build progress

Dewayne Baker

I am moving my shop from a crowded 2 car garage to a real shop :) I recently bought a home with a large 1/3 acre lot and plenty of room for a shop. The shop will feature a cement slab with driveway access and wood frame structure 18’ X 26’ a 8’ roll up door, standard man door, 2 windows, framed hole for window AC, insulated vaulted ceiling,scissor truss design, insulated walls with wood siding, sheetrock interior walls. plenty of 110 & 220 power all around, floor and ceiling included. I have created a scaled drawing of the shop and my tools to determine an efficient layout and where I will need power and how much. Placement of windows, lighting, doors, ventilation, dust collection etc. where carefully considered. I accepted the lowest of 4 estimates. The highest came in at $61,000 and the lowest $39,000

We have some good progress and moving right along just 3 weeks into the project.
image.jpg

Following along too, my last shop had scissor truss vaulted ceiling really great for extra height. Think about your electrical and lighting in the meantime lots of light is well worth it but think about it being on different switches.

Following along too, my last shop had scissor truss vaulted ceiling really great for extra height. Think about your electrical and lighting in the meantime lots of light is well worth it but think about it being on different switches.

I have given that thought and the plan calls for 4 ceiling recepticals each switched seperately. I have about 12 florescent fixtures that ceiling mount and plug in.

That is going to be a fabulous shop. Your dimensions are very similar to mine. You are really smart to have all of the luminaires, switches and outlets.

When I started my shop I used AutoCad to lay out all of the machinery, cabinets, electrical, etc. I am VERY glad I did that. However, with time, new toys, change of type of projects, etc. nearly everything has been moved at least once.

Enjoy the shop and enjoy the trip getting to the setup you want.
JimB

Thanks for the replies friends. I have a few more progress shots to share.

imagejpg1_zps0dcd3ec5.jpg

imagejpg2_zps115d96b0.jpg

imagejpg1_zps32ac4272.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd0ddd932.jpg

Interesting construction. LP Tech Shield Radiant Barrier roof sheathing is typically not used in this neck of the woods, although I think it's a good idea & glad to see you using it to control the heat/humidity in your new shop. Also, the board edging along the roof edges is not a typical construction technique hereabouts. From the pictures it looks like the sheathing butts up against the sheathing, so did you install an extra set of trusses for nail the edges of the boards & sheathing at the gable ends?

Nice design & well thought out!

Interesting construction. LP Tech Shield Radiant Barrier roof sheathing is typically not used in this neck of the woods, although I think it's a good idea & glad to see you using it to control the heat/humidity in your new shop. Also, the board edging along the roof edges is not a typical construction technique hereabouts. From the pictures it looks like the sheathing butts up against the sheathing, so did you install an extra set of trusses for nail the edges of the boards & sheathing at the gable ends?

Good question. I have a contractor doing the work and I'm not able to get to the build site every day. I do know that there is not an aditional set of trusses for the ends. The radiand barrier roof sheating was the contractors choice, or code for this city/county.

I found a photo that should answer your question about the roof ends.
imagejpg1_zpsd05a666c.jpg

Last edited: