A Beer Jocky Box

This coming weekend, we are heading to our friends summer house south of Tokyo for a few days, we will be having a pig roast and party at their house on Sunday and will be returning on Monday at some time.

That is our summer vacation.

This deserves a :( and a few more :(:(:(

Great looking and useful looking box. Hope you and your better half get some other vacation/rest/fun at some other time!!

You did good, Stu!!! :thumb:
Thanks you sir!

would be really cool if you could burn on a logo from your business or personal logo.
I'll put my makers mark on the bottom and I'll sign and date the bottom as well.

Or use your CNC to carve in something appropriate.
If I had the time I would, but I was up until 7 AM yesterday morning, yes, you read that correctly 7 AM sanding, and applying finish, it take a long time to sand all those nooks and finish them, if I ever do one of these again I'll sand and finish it all before I assemble it..... live and learn.... :(

This deserves a :( and a few more :(:(:(

Great looking and useful looking box. Hope you and your better half get some other vacation/rest/fun at some other time!!

Yeah, well that is life, Art.

No problem if you stay away from breaking in each one of them before packing things up :beer: :D

Gonna be a well received gift, nicely done Stu! :thumb:

Sadly no time for beer right now, but Sunday, yeah, I'm going to tip a few!

"Mug Shot or Bottoms Up" ?

Looks great Stu. It'll be much appreciated for sure.

I certainly hope so!

OK I got the box all glued up.

IMG_8267.JPG

Now I need to fill in all of these dados, for looks and for structural reasons.

IMG_8268.JPG

I cut some pieces of the same plywood and then ripped them into thin sticks to fit tight in the dados.
Using a scrap piece of wood in the lid groove to make sure they did not interfere with the lid.

IMG_8269.JPG

Using some thick CA glue I set each piece in place

IMG_8270.JPG

Then I cut them off with my flush cut saw

IMG_8271.JPG

I know the results are not perfect but they are good enough for a beer jockey storage box I think

IMG_8273.JPG

The first coat of varnish on everything, boy it took a LONG time hand sanding those cubby holes and then varnishing them.

Once it is dry I'll do a light sanding on the inside then sand the outside and try to get two more coats on the outside before we leave tonight at midnight.

The handles will be rope, I think I figured out a good way to chain the rope into a nice enough handle.

Wish me luck

OK, it is done!

I hope that by tomorrow when we give it to them it has stopped out gassing, the varnish still stinks a bit, but I've given it a light scrubbing and a nice coating of wax.

IMG_8276.JPG

Should function just fine as a Beer Jockey Caddy :D

IMG_8275.JPG

I really like the handles, I just chained the rope a few times, makes a good solid handle

IMG_8277.JPG

Now I just have to go and fill it up with Beer Jokeys

Cheers!

Got to admit that is pretty darn nice. And the rope handles are perfect for beer at the beach. Very nice job. For some reason I always enjoyed beer most out of an ice cold glass stein. May have to make a MGD run today..... See what you have done, Stu.

Nice touch on the rope handles :thumb: turned out very nice!

Thanks, my wife really likes it, I just came over to the L shop and filled it with mugs, and yeah, it is not light, all that glass weighs a bit.
When I took the lid off it really still stinks, so I think I'll leave the lid off overnight to let the varnish continue to out gas.

Got to admit that is pretty darn nice. And the rope handles are perfect for beer at the beach. Very nice job. For some reason I always enjoyed beer most out of an ice cold glass stein. May have to make a MGD run today..... See what you have done, Stu.

Some things I really don't mind taking the blame for :D

Came out real well like those rope handles and i am sure your friends will love the gift. Kudos to your wifes vision and your execution of the project. Dont forget to load up with beer. Japanese beer pretty nice every now and then i crack a can or two. :)

We had a great day, the weather was supposed to be really lousy, but in the end the storm did not come until about 9 PM when most everyone had left.

I tipped a few jockeys full of beer ate some great roasted pork, chatted with some friends I'd not seen in a while too.

roasted_pork2.jpg

That is my buddy Kei carving up the guest of honor.

Now we are back in Tokyo, I'm working in the Dungeon trying to clear the decks for the next couple of weeks I've got a long list of paying jobs to get through.

If you were wondering how the knots for the handles worked out with the beer jockeys...

IMG_8289.JPG

IMG_8290.JPG

... As you can see there is lots of room for the knots.

The Beer Jockey Caddy was very well recieved, happy faces all around.

Cheers!

In that 'guest of honor' photo, there looks like some neat wooden stools/chairs{:dunno:} be cool to see 'em better if you get a chance sometime :thumb:

Those are some chairs and a table that Kei bought a few years back, he paid WAY too much for them and they are so poorly put together you would be embarrassed for the guy who made them. As far as I'm concerned they are basically firewood, no one ever sits on them, they are too tall, the foot rest is too low and if you sit at the table you knees bang the table, total junk. I know that might sound harsh, but I'm sure we have all seen this kind of thing, yeah it sort of looks rustic because it's made from driftwood or limbs from trees, when it is done well it certainly is cool, but when it is done poorly, and someone buys it, it just makes you kind of sick.

Now the slab benches that I made last year they got used all day long, they are still in great shape and Kei told me that they use them outside all the time, but keep them inside.

It was a great day!

Roasted Pork and Grilled corn on the cob. Seems like something right out of the MidWest.

The pork was from Okinawa, slow roasted and then shipped up to Tokyo, there was a screw up, we usually slow roast the pig at the party place, but the company in Okinawa screwed up and forgot to send the pig. I was supposed to arrive on Saturday, we would then start slow roasting it early Sunday morning and have the pig for dinner, but they forgot to send it, so Kei told them to roast it there in Okinawa the night before and then send it on the plane the next morning, it left Okinawa at 8AM and was supposed to get to Tokyo at 10:30 AM but bad weather delayed the flight. the guest of honor arrived around noon and it was still warm, so we just sliced it up and had an early dinner.

The grilled corn is also common here but I do it a bit different, first we boil the corn the roast it a bit, next I make up a sauce that is about 2/3 Shoyu (Soy Sauce) 1/3 Mirin (a sort of sweet rice wine used for cooking) and one tablespoon of brown sugar, this is mixed up and then the corn is dipped in it, then put back on the grill to allow the sauce to caramelize, sure is good, everyone loved it!

Cheers!