New top for a tired worktable

Roger Tulk

I have three of these folding worktables, that I can buy at Canadian Tire for $18, although they have sometimes gone on sale for $9.99. I find them very handy, but they are made of MDF, and after a lifetime of being exposed to rain and other nastiness, the tops wear out. I decided to replace the top on my oldest and dearest, and I thought Oak or Maple would be nice, but a 5" x 1" x 6' was over $20 at the HD. So, I settled on pine. I drilled dog holes to a slightly different and, I think, more useful pattern, cut a groove down the centre to hold round objects, and slapped on some spar varnish. I think it will do.

Topp1.jpgTopp2.jpg

It has one coat of spar varnish now, it will have three. The second picture is what the top had come to, sitting on top of a newer folding worktable. Now I guess I should make something with it.

I have one of those types of tables, mine is a Black and Decker from when they first came out. I have used it and used it over the years. They are very handy. Mine could use new tops, especially since I have seen how nice yours looks with the retrofit. Nice job.

Looks nice, Roger. :thumb: I'll bet the pine lasts at least as long as the MFD did. I have a Workmate that could use a new top treatment like that.