Quilted Maple This Time

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Since the last two guitars have been curly maple, I figured it was time to change things up a bit with some quilted maple...

IMG_4188 800.jpg IMG_4192 800.jpg IMG_4183 800.jpg

It's a BC Rich Mockingbird in the Special X plumage. It's got a nicely carved and bound bookmatched maple top on a mahogany body, with a rosewood fingerboard on a mahogany neck that goes all the way through the body...just like the original Mockingbirds did. (And I'm pretty familiar with the original Mockingbirds from the 1970s, since I have one of the hand-built prototypes for the Mockingbird line that I bought used in 1978.) Like many American guitar companies, BC Rich makes some of their products in the US, and import the rest. Mockingbirds range from $200 for a cheapie Asian guitar with a bolt-on neck to fancy US-made models in the $4000 range. The Special X is among the top of the line import models with an MSRP of around $1000, but I picked this one up used on eBay for a lot less than that. ;)

I had a chance to put this one through its paces tonight as I'm working overtime to learn a bunch of songs in a short length of time, and it's gonna be a great addition to the stable. Plays like a dream, and sounds very good, too. The neck through the body helps provide a lot of sustain and strong harmonics. Definitely a keeper. :thumb:

Hi, my name is Vaughn and I'm a guitaraholic

There has got to be a support group for others with your condition :rofl:

Yeah, my buddy Mike Grimes (one half of The Donohoe & Grimes Project, the band I'm playing in) keeps threatening me with an intervention, but so far they've all been idle threats. I suspect he's afraid I'll bring him over to my side. I did that to him with guns already, lol. He used to give me a hard time about all my guns, and now he's bought more in the past couple years than he had in the prior 30. :rofl:

She's a beauty :thumb::thumb: I think this sub-forum should have a new rule added ;), something along the lines of 'newly acquired axes must be accompanied by an audio/video clip' :headbang:

Video probably isn't happening, but I'll see if I can come up with a quick and dirty audio clip. ;)