YMCA's, heath clubs, gyms, etc.

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Anybody here belong? Chiropractor is strongly suggesting I get regular exercise and build up my core muscles. I am also interested in more flexibility and better balance. Water aerobics sounds good. Will have to get a suit. Haven't owned one in 50 years. Not a water person. This ought to be interesting. Not interested in 99.9% nudity. Thinking wet suit. :rofl:

So after the lumber yard run this morning, I stopped by the Y thinking it may be the least expensive option. Got the tour. Lots of equipment and many programs. Not dirt cheap, but better than the gym's, etc. I do NOT want a repeat of the last 6 weeks. I just went to the lumber yard. Didn't lift a thing. Just tied down what few pieces I got. Did run three other errands, but I am done for the day just climbing in and out of Bruiser.

my wife :blah: belongs to the local y, where she uses the machines and goes to some of the exercise classes. me, i just go to work, 10-15 45 lb cases of cut sheet paper, 16 25 lb cases of checks, and up to 6 15 lb cases per night take care of the free weights, running non stop between 2 laser printers for 10 hrs takes care of the road work, and feeding and emptying them takes care of the aerobics. so far i've dropped about 25 lbs, and went from a 44 waist to a 40. best part of all, is i get paid for all of that abuse.

Although not for everyone, I use a Bowflex and Ti Chi Masters at home, Stacey does 21 Day Fix and Yoga. We do them at the same time and that allows us to stay motivated...her motivating me that is ;)

We're members of the local Y but, to be honest, we don't go very often for a variety of excuses. For us old-timers, 69 and 66, it actually works out to be free. We qualify for Silver Sneakers through our AARP supplement insurance. When we go to the Y, they scan our cards and the Y gets paid by AARP (United HealthCare).

I joined a gym last year to build up core strength and rearrange a few of my pounds. It's a local chain - Defined Fitness - but they are the biggest in the state. Each of their locations has a swimming pool, sauna, steam room, and hot tub. I don't work out on the machines as regularly as I should, but I still like to take advantage of the pool, steam room, and hot tub. It costs me about $40 per month, but it's worth it to me. I've also gone to Planet Fitness with a friend, and it's fine if you just want to work out, but I'd rather pay the extra money and get access to the aquatic stuff.

And I see plenty of ladies your age and older in the aquatic center...some are wearing bathing suits that they probably shouldn't be, but others are wearing shorts and t-shirts. Also, Saturday and Sunday afternoons seem to be "older people hours". I often feel like the youngest guy there on a Sunday afternoon.

well carol i think they found a new word or niche called core training for folks with troublesome backs, the folks in rehab couldnt do what they wanted me to do.. but hey they are in charge,, aleve does take away the edge but then you do things that you might regret BECAUSE you dont feel it at the time..

Carol my insurance picks up the tab for our Y exercise. Might look into that idea. We go 3times a week and feeling much better. There are a bunch of old foggies in the class but we have fun

Carol I believe you have a medicare supplement. Many of them offer a membership to silver sneakers either at a discount or for free. I use the silver sneakers to go to my local fitness center,Anytime Fitness and they accept the silver sneakers in lew of a membership. I also know the Y accept it also. If you go to Silver sneaker web site LINK they can see if it is included in you medicare plan. I can go to any of over 11,000 clubs nation wide.

Last edited:
Thanks, Don, but mine doesn't. The Y here is really well-equipped and has tons of programs and unlimited access from 5:30 AM to 9 PM.. I also have a pool in my park, but I know I need the discipline of a group activity. I may even qualify for a discount.

I am well past the age of wet tee shirts, but in days past.... well, never mind. One does not need to till the wild oats field. I found shorty scuba suits for less than most swim suits. And a while lot more coverage!

Sorry about that carol, i was hopeing to save you a few bucks. Bill if you go to the silver sneakers web site and register your aarp med suo numbers they will send you a silver snaekers member card so. That way you can use it if you travel. Many folks on medicare dont know that they have this benefit.

I don't think water walking will strenghten a person enough to avoid the back pain(??)

I think you need to use some gym machines (??) Planet fitness has machines, and a lot of ladies there.

It's more like a gym class than a real gym, and it only cost $10 a month, and they give you free pizza.

Here is a real gym, I think you might not be interested in something like that, unless you want to arm westle a gorilla--lol.

I've known ladies that have went to the Y, and to Planet fitness, both were acceptable to them (cleanliness, courtious other customers, price, etc...)

Good luck....

I agree with Larry on the issue of taking Aleve, have done that myself and paid a heavy price multiple times over for the consequences of over doing it. We have been looking for a gym for similar reasons but costs around us are ridiculous for what we get. I am on the side of doing Yoga. My mom 95 fixed her back from Yoga it was incredible what it did for her. I have decided thats what i am looking for after reading quiet a few arthritis books. But its also a mission to find a group that one fits with. Whole new adventure but i believe enough in the benefits that will flow so just a matter of getting er done.

... Bill if you go to the silver sneakers web site and register your aarp med suo numbers they will send you a silver snaekers member card so. That way you can use it if you travel. Many folks on medicare dont know that they have this benefit.

I've had my SS member card for four years; my wife got hers when she retired last year.

@ Don. No AARP membership either and not going there either. The Y is $38 a month here and I may get a discount because I am poorer than a church mouse. Unless I get another job, which doesn't seem forthcoming at the moment. There is a plan here somewhere. Just haven't found it yet.