Gosh twang it

It'll do...
I bent up some strips, and glued them one at a time into the sound-hole...
pix 001.jpg

pix 002.jpg

Not a perfect circle, it's bad enough using a handheld drill with a wing-cutter, but as I mentioned before, my bench-top drill press has a very shallow throat...Did the best I could sanding the damage back into usable shape...Hillbilly style
pix 003.jpg

Then I glued up some of the scraps from the ring bending session...
pix 004.jpg

I was not planning on having the fretboard stretch all the way to the sound-hole which would normally cover the gap. And since I've already rough cut the neck/fretboard to length, I chiseled out a spot to hide the end gaps of the rings, and cut a piece to finish her off... Aw well, beats starting over...I did say prototype right? :D
pix 006a.JPG

pix 006.jpg

I also added a backer piece around the rings for good measure, going to sand it down a tad more when I get the braces shaped, which is the only other thing I accomplished on this today...
pix 007.jpg

A learning as I go...will post more when there's something to show :wave:

It would be interesting if guiars had a hole in a shape other than a circle, such as a heart, or some kind of logo like from a football team?

Would that effect the sound much I wonder? Mayby if you picked a good team it would sound even better (in some years, but worse in others)--lol :)

There there, now that's better...:camera:

Had another go at it...
Pict1.JPG

Looks finished to me...
Pict2.JPG

Pict3.JPG

not all roses though, knocked the bocote fretboard off my bench and sure enough Murphy cracked it :bang:
not sure yet what will replace it, still digging thru scraps and hoping I find something...:crossed:

I like the new rosette. :thumb: Is there any way you can repair the cracked fingerboard? Depending on the nature of the crack, you might be able to get some CA glue worked into the crack to stabilize it. In use, the fingerboard isn't exposed to a lot of stresses.

I got your smiley face Larry :)...:D

Ryan, you're going to need something to wash that popcorn down with, and if you make it something strong enough you might be able to wash the taste out of your mouth when this fiasco of a build is over...:rofl:

Ted, don't be giving Murphy any ideas :pullhair:

Great idea Vaughn, but she took a good ding on the corner as well and of course it had to be on the first fret end instead of the 17th where I could of trimmed it off. :bang: Going out in a bit after coffee to give her another look-see with fresh-day eyes....

Guess unlucky can be added to my 'Un' list...uneducated, untalented, unemployed, uninhibited and if things keep going this way, I hope to add understandably drunk. :doh::rofl:

Keen, The next build of anything I do that works even close to right on the first pass will be the first one. So far you've had a way better than par batting average here for a first round (yeah yeah I'm mixing sports metaphor but average average sounded weird run with it :rolleyes:). Thanks for sharing all the flubs and fixes, they make the project more graspable.

Like stepping onto a treadmill in the dark, I'm moving along but no idea where I'm headed :bonkers: :D

Got the back and top on finally...
Back on.JPG Top on.JPG

and rabbeting on both sides for the binding...just going with some wood binding, no purfling or such...
binding rabbet 1.JPG binding rabbet 2.JPG

Now that it's starting to take shape, I'm disappointed in my upper bout design/layout, buuuttt-ugly IMO...
But like a good parent, I'll love it just the same...but it doesn't mean I have to admit to that in public :rofl:
bout-butt ugly.JPG

The upper bout might be a bit big, but it's definitely going to stand out in a crowd! Heck, might even make it 'bigger' sounding!

The upper bout might be a bit big, but it's definitely going to stand out in a crowd! Heck, might even make it 'bigger' sounding!

Had to look that one up:
"While the word “bout” is generally used to signify illness or a physical confrontation in which two otherwise self-respecting gentlemen pummel each other with large foam pads, in the generally nonviolent world of luthierie, “bout” refers to the measurement across top of the guitar at the upper and lower parts of the body where it bends outward the most. It’s easier to visualize the bout if you imagine a line drawn across the face (top) of the guitar along the bottom of the bridge (lower bout), and across the third or fourth fret above the soundhole (upper bout). In simpler terms, the upper bout could be considered the “shoulders” of the guitar while the lower bout is the “hips”. The origin of the word “bout” derives from an obsolete dialect of English; bought, a turning (influenced by about), and from Middle English, bowen, to bend or turn."

Looking forward to the seeing the binding go on!

Is the back a lot thicker than the front? It looks like it might be from the binding cuts.. I wasn't sure if you normally adjusted the depth of the cut to account for that or not?

Thanks guys, just looks so different from what I was envisioning in the form...I'll survive :rofl:

Yes Ryan the back is much thicker, pine with veneer on both sides...my rabbeting bit bearing choices only allowed for a 1/4" depth/width{whichever way sounds right lol...bearing riding on the guitar wall} as the smallest setting.

Guess I shouldn't complain much on her looks, I'm no prize myself :D

EDIT: I had to look up 'Rem Wall' Larry, knew he sounded familiar :guitar: been a long time since I heard anything by him :thumb:

Last edited: