Gosh twang it

Well I'm all over the place with this, one of these days I'm going to have to use a plan :eek: but this is fun just the same :D
Some of the following pictures may be out of the order they were done, but it's not like I'm documenting this for someone else to follow :rofl:....anyways.......

Cut the kerfing strips and test fit as my first attempt the relief cuts weren't deep enough and cracked in a couple of places...
pix 032.jpg

Cut the tail & neck blocks so I could install the kerfing to length...
pix 033.jpg

Got the headstock clamped to the neck...
pix 034.jpg

Laid out the fret board dimensions...more on the pattern in a bit...
pix 035.jpg

and added some wings to the headstock to allow some more room for whatever shape I decide on...
pix 036.jpg

For the fretboard pattern I use FretFind2D
I print the page{s} out full size and use it as a disposable...that fretfind site offers a lot of variables allowing you to choose most any dimensions you could wish for :thumb:
I place it in place with tape and score the frets with an Exacto knife...
pix 037.jpg

Then saw them to depth...this is some Bocote I'm using as the fretboard...
pix 038.jpg

as to depth of the cuts, being as I don't have one of those fancy highfaluting thing-a-jigs, I just lay a section of fret wire lengthwise along the edge of-and on the fretboard and draw a pencil line, then hope for the best at stopping at the line :knock:
pix 039.jpg

Couple of more shots to get to where I'm at right now...in a moment or three...

On to the back of the guitar....again no idea where I'm heading, sometimes knowing takes all the excitement out of it :saythat:

I cut the bracing oversize...then laid them out, marked them and cut half-lap joints...
pix 040.jpg

then I drew an arch thingy that looked good to my eye and sanded all but the center one to match...really have no clue what so ever about arching the back{as it probably shows lol} but I dove in, just have to see if I'm going to sink or swim
pix 041.jpg

No idea if this is even on the right track, but it's keeping me glued to my seat with anticipation :D...
pix 042.jpg

Glued and clamped it all up and left it over night...
pix 043.jpg

seems to have worked at least to the point I envisioned...
pix 044.jpg

and where I stopped tonight> starting to shape/shave the braces...
pix 045.jpg

That's it til next time...Hope all have a great week! :thumb:

Someday, we will all wish we owned a genuine Ken Cook Guitar...

Thanks for showing the steps Ken, This is fun.

Just what is the alcohol content in your home brews? :rofl:

Depends on the brew. They vary depending on what I make.

The latest batch, "Holler Tower" Pilsner, is 5.5% abv.

A nice floral nose, A slight bit of chill haze, but could probably use a little longer lagering. But I'm not that patient.

Or did you want to talk about beer? LOL :rofl:

Ha, luv that 'Holler Tower' name, kinda lays out the coming evenings events :rofl:

I'd luv to get into brewing, but my patience is lower than yours, I mean even walking to the frig for the next one takes too long...Hey that might make for a good project, a insulated beer holster :D

Hah!

Yeah, this was a single malt, single hop beer, or whats known as a 'SMaSH'.

Genuine authentic German Pilzner malt, and Hallertauer hops. Was fun to brew, Fun to consume!

Well, she's out of the form :woot:
FormFree.jpg

so that allowed a test fit of the back...looks good, need to add some shim pieces to tighten the kerfing up at the head & tail blocks...
Back fitting.jpg

Being set free from the form also allows the soundboard to get underway...I've had this piece of mahogany for over a year waiting on the next box swap...Oh well, a different kind of box has been chosen{git-box} ;)
no worries though, when we have another swap I'm sure I'll find some osb or the likes to participate:rofl:
Soundboard.jpg

Got her laid out and rough trimmed...
soundboard2.jpg

Then ended up using one of those wing-cutters to make a groove for a rosette...:eek:
Rosette groove.jpg

and for cutting out the sound-hole... I need to pick-up a Dremel tool and circle cutter before diving into the next one ;) my last one let the smoke out a year ago or so, haven't had a need for one until now. Free hand with a portable drill is not the way > DAMHIKT< ...my little drill press doesn't reach far enough, so....:eek::bang:
Soundhole.jpg

As to a rosette, I'm trying my hand at a wood one...first couple of tries went south using the bandsaw to separate the ring...success with the table saw on #3...
Rosette.jpg

We'll see in the morning how things went, For now it's....
Rosette set.jpg

Oh yeah, been playing with headstock shapes and as of right now I'm leaning towards this...
HeadstockShape.jpg

Moving pretty much forward. Sooooo, please don't mention this to Murphy :D
More as they come along...:wave:

Rock on Ken!

FretFind2D is veeerrryyy interesting. Hmm!

I must also ask - have you made one (or how many?) of these before because man you're cooking along at light speed!

Wow, Ken, you're really cookin' along here. Oops! a pun here. :rofl:

And to think just last week you were doing surgery on your finger. BTW, how's it doing?

Thanks everyone

@Scott,
"interesting" is putting it mildly LOL, kinda backwards with the nicer stuff on the back, but I figured {<says a lot right there :D} using veneer on both sides of the pine piece really isn't what the doctor would of ordered, but fit the financial situation...The Mahogany isn't nothing special but at least it's solid wood. I'm no luthier but I'm hoping the laminated back being stiffer will help some in the volume level...maybe those in the know can confirm or set me straight???

@Ryan, first attempt, though I have built a few cigar box guitars, whole nutter whirld i'm finding :eek: :rofl:

@Carol, finger is about healed over, but I'm still keeping the bandage companies in the black :thumb:
Between abrasions, slivers, razor knife skip/slashes and an uncanny week of smashing my fingers in a hundred different ways, the infected finger hasn't crossed my mind much :doh:

@Larry, That Amb.maple was growing on a sales tree at Rockler...12 board/ft package of what they call 'hobby veneer' for about $20.00...Probably the closest I'll get to the real thing. It was worth it for dipping my feet into the veneering pool...though I think I drank too much of the chlorine, I've lots more to learn> just the basics :huh:

Now what I want to know is who talked to Murphy :tantrum: :D

So the rosette attempt came out half way decent I guess...
pic1.jpg

So I was on cloud 9 and got to thinking{see the sign on the wall lol}...this could use another, though slimmer ring between the walnut and the hole itself. Soooo, I haven't made any sparks with the grinder lately and had another cutting bit for the wing cutter and, well, lets add tool maker to the 'I'm no' list :D
pic2.jpg

anyways got 'er down to shade under an 1/8", did a test cut on some scrap and then no sooner did I start to lower the bit into the top, when> 'kerr-pow' right in the kisser...
pic3.jpg

It's a wonder I'm not more of a drinker than I am :bang:

There is a thought/plan on my hope to save face, but I'm not counting chickens just yet...stay tuned :crutches: