Picture Frame Clamp

Paul Douglass

I have a need to build some picture frames and I need a way to clamp them up when gluing. I've been looking at this home made clamp that is simple to make and I wonder if anyone has made one and used it? Is it any good and worth them time to build?

adjustable_4_corner_framing_clamp.jpg

Thanks

I have a pre-made aluminum one that seems good on paper, but has only been moderately successful in practice. I'm partial to just using four parallel clamps, since that lets me fine-tune the pressure applied at each corner.

My experience echos Vaughn's. Not real good at its job and clumsier to operate than you might think. Make your own BLOKKZ.

Shop Made Blokkz (9).jpg

I find doing 2 sides, then the other 2 sides and then gluing these assemblies together gives me more consistent predictable results.

Last edited:
Ahh Haaaa! Thank you gentlemen (I know, I use that term loosely) for the input. Glenn, looks a lot easier to make and easier to use and more effective. When I get back home in about 10 days, I all over making me some of those.

What a great place!!

I find that a band clamp plus an occasional bar clamp works great...

On a related note, I picked up one of these a few weekends ago:

71Vd5NVnh3L._SY450_.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-band-clamp-66220.html

I was using it to repair a picture frame that had two failed joints on opposite diagonal corners. It was a royal pain to get everything lined up, and in the process of messing with things, I ended up breaking another joint open. Ultimately, I did get the frame put back together, but it wasn't easy, and the end result wasn't as good as I would have liked. On the plus side, the clamp was only $6.00.

Well I made the clamps like Glenn described in this thread and I see they would definitely work, but not with the clamps I have. I tried several types I have in the shop and none worked good. Being I don't have extra cash right this moment to spend on clamps, I started look at other shop made jig for picture frames. I came across this one, on Youtube. This evening I made a couple and darn they appear they might work. I have half a frame glue up right now. I will know in a while. anyway, they cost me nothing but a little time to make and like I said they appear to work.

IMG_2426.JPG

Way to go Paul. That is a clever solution you found and a bar clamp replacing the rubber band could be employed for larger work.

Nothing to add except those cheapo band clamps should be banned. :) . i tried a couple of cheapo units that tried to have a go a reproducing the bessey units, suffice to say i should have known better. You get what you pay for in this category. :(
Like the look of what you found. Let us know how it works out Paul.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Cool idea, Paul. Hope I can remember it the next time I have such glue up.

Agree wholeheartedly on the bank clamp! Awful!

Four bar clamps is problematic on delicate frames. Too much weight. But this solution looks really great. Corner specific. Light weight. Easy to make. Minimum money outlay.

Home run, Paul. Might post a link to the YouTube so the right person gets the kudus. That is the kind of mind that is more than welcome here. We ought to invite him/her to participate.

Thanks for the reminder, Carol. Intended to post the link to the short little Youtube video and it slipped past me. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc6ndsDQnp0

By the way the clamp seems to work great. The joint I clamped last evening seem to be fine and now I have the two of the frame clamped together and drying. It is easy to attach the clamps and make adjustments. I think these are going to work just fine. I also think I will make another two set so I can do a whole frame at once.

After gluing, I am drilling a 1/2" hole in the back of the frame at each joint. Then I glue in a 1/2" disk of wood (slice of a dowel) in the holes for added support. Another online tip I picked up.

Not really related, but a long time ago I was dating a girl who's father was a photographer that did some picture framing and matting. He had a really cool tool for cutting mitres. He'd rough cut them with a saw, then he had a large lever operated knife that he used for the final sizing and cut. It left glass smooth cuts with zero tear out. It was pretty early in my woodworking career, but I always thought that was neat.

What's your take on the little bevel sanding? jig at the 1:20 mark? What sander is he using? belt, circular? Looks pretty cool anyways and seems to be set up primarily for straight bevels but works for curves too.

Not really related, but a long time ago I was dating a girl who's father was a photographer that did some picture framing and matting. He had a really cool tool for cutting mitres. He'd rough cut them with a saw, then he had a large lever operated knife that he used for the final sizing and cut. It left glass smooth cuts with zero tear out. It was pretty early in my woodworking career, but I always thought that was neat.

A Lion cutter. I think they still make them.

Capture.JPG

What's your take on the little bevel sanding? jig at the 1:20 mark? What sander is he using? belt, circular? Looks pretty cool anyways and seems to be set up primarily for straight bevels but works for curves too.

I couldn't tell but I assumed a belt sander. Looked to me like a lot of work to make. More than I would invest for the number of times I would use it. However I might do more bevel if I had something like that. Not as scary as a router. I did not bevel my frame clamps so mine are not as pretty as his. I did make two more today so I hope to try them more soon. So far, one frame together, I like these clamps.

I made a box clamp over the weekend out of a ratched strap. There are some good tutorials on youtube. I could detail it here, but they did such a good job. Miter joints seem easy but get a perfect 45 cut is hard.