Grilling help, please

3a make sure the surface of the meat is plumb dry (pat dry when it comes out of the marinade of you use one).

Personally I'd skip #2 but it's definitely a personal choice :thumb:

Fixed it for you.

For good meat, I would not bother marinating it. It will prevent you from getting a nice seared crust on the outside.

5 minutes resting time should be plenty for a steak.

Sharon's right, I forgot to mention Pickapeppa. It's some tasty stuff.

OK, here is my take on what you all have shared.

It's a gas grill, so all talk about coals and such have been disregarded. We have what we have.

Cock Shack Procedure for juicy, slightly pink middle, grilled steak
1. Buy good meat.
2. Marinade with flavor of choice (mine would be mesquite) overnight in the fridge.
3. Let meat come to room temperature before slapping on the grill.
4. Heat grill as hot as it will go.
5. 4 timed minutes per side.
6. Wrap in aluminum foil and rest for 10-20 5 minutes.
7. Fix a salad and ice the bourbon.
8. Chow down.

Did I miss anything or get something wrong? I want to try it, maybe tomorrow for dinner.

OK. Hafta fix the salad first. Only will have time to ice the bourbon during the resting time. :rofl:

No marinade and pat it dry first. I am not a sauce fan for steak, but I do have a seasoning recipe from a chef. Now I have to find that! I know the four basics were salt, pepper, garlic, and onion. I think there was something else, something else.

Don't worry, Vaughn. I know it wasn't cilantro. :rofl: :rofl:

I'm actually going to try a montreal steak seasoning on our steak tomorrow night.

Found this recipe, but it's pretty close to what you said,

Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion + paprika, coriander, dill, and red pepper flakes.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10590-montreal-steak-seasoning

I do season the steak a few minutes before it hits the grill, usually just salt and pepper, but this mix sounds interesting so worth an experiment!

I'm actually going to try a montreal steak seasoning on our steak tomorrow night. ...

Here's the recipe I'm using for MSS:

==========
(Combo based on several similar recipes after taste-testing smaller quantities)

Ingredients:
Makes about 2 cups

1/4 cup kosher salt (grind lightly)
1/4 cup black peppercorns (grind to break up)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (grind lightly)

1/4 cup onion flakes
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup thyme, dried
1/4 cup rosemary, dried
1/4 cup ground coriander seed

4 teaspoons dill seed
1/2 teaspoon paprika

After trimming steak, apply a light coating of seasoning, cover and chill for a few hours. When ready to grill, remove steak from fridge to allow it to come to near room temperature. Start your grill and, when medium hot, apply a moderate coating to one side of steak. Sit steak on grill with seasoned side down, then shake seasoning on the other side.

Cooking time will depend on thickness of steak and desired doneness.
==========

Kosher salt is favored over table salt because it does not have iodine added. Other similar salts are OK, if you prefer added flavor.

Also, you can't go with "4 minutes per side". The time will depend on how thick the steak is cut. For instance, if I pick up a package of steaks that are store-cut, they're usually more like 3/4". In that case, I get my gas grill as hot as possible, then place the steaks on for about 2 minutes or so, then turn them, cook for another 2 minutes, remove and cover them for about 10 minutes.

Edit: Just remembered - many of the MSS recipes I found called for twice as much salt as the one I've developed. Way too much salt to suit me!

Last edited:
When I use Montreal Steak Seasoning, this is the recipe I use...

MSS.jpg

:D

I use this or some type of marinade on cheaper. less flavorful steaks.

When I use Montreal Steak Seasoning, this is the recipe I use...

View attachment 84206

:D

I use this or some type of marinade on cheaper. less flavorful steaks.

What's the fun of that when you can 'speriment with variants and impress folks? :huh:

Actually, that's the one I tried, but it lacked a little so I worked on my own recipe. I use it more as a dry "rub" when putting the steaks on the grill, but I might shake a light coating on them ahead of time. And, believe me, it works great on expensive steaks!

Using your recipe tonight Bill on a nice RibEye... Cant wait...

Cool! I'd be interested in the outcome.

I've used it mostly on ribeyes, but I get NY strips occasionally. Now that I think about it, I tossed a sirloin roast in the smoker a few weeks ago and used the MSS on it for starters.

Doing some baked taters with it, and an experiment with some jalapeno's stuff with chopped shrimp, jalapeno, and cheddar cheese wrapped in bacon.

The Steak seasoning looks excellent. I'm still a few minutes away from tossing the steak on the grill...

On the Salt we use a Himalayan Salt and it really makes a difference. We found out about it from a local guy who does competition Smoking on the circuit.
Here is some info about it but we just get it at cosco. I believe most good stores carry it. Also fresh ground pepper.
Himalayan Salt Link

Himalayan Pink salt is great...Trader Joes carries it. But!!!! a little goes a long way. My mom chewed by butt because she ground some on some kind of casserol and didn't mind the amount...ouch!

The steaks turned out great. Loved that montreal Seasoning Bob!

Made some 'poppers' with minced shimp, minced jalapeno, and cheddar cheese stuff into jalapenoes with 1/4 of the top chopped off and wrapped in bacon. (Used some of the tops for the minced jalapenos mixed with the shrimp).

Have to say it all worked out very nicely!

What's the fun of that when you can 'speriment with variants and impress folks? :huh:

Actually, that's the one I tried, but it lacked a little so I worked on my own recipe. I use it more as a dry "rub" when putting the steaks on the grill, but I might shake a light coating on them ahead of time. And, believe me, it works great on expensive steaks!

I would tend to agree with you if I ever cooked for more than just myself. Even when I was living in the same house as my wife, she wouldn't eat steak if I grilled it, so I'd just make mine and let her have whatever flavor of Lean Cuisine she wanted out of the freezer. :rolleyes:

I would tend to agree with you if I ever cooked for more than just myself. Even when I was living in the same house as my wife, she wouldn't eat steak if I grilled it, so I'd just make mine and let her have whatever flavor of Lean Cuisine she wanted out of the freezer. :rolleyes:

I/we watch a lot of cooking shows. Something I saw a few years agoi on one of the shows featuring a top chef in a top restaurant really shocked me at the time. He took a beautiful NY strip, patted it dry, sprinkled salt and pepper on it and threw it in a hot skillet. It wasn't a "blackened" steak - it was the way they prepared steaks - no grill, just the stove top. Sear both sides real good, then let it finish to desired doneness in the oven. I had done steaks like that before I had any type of grill but I'd sure rather have a grilled steak now!

There is also a really good seasoning that's been around for years. We use it on almost thing we make from scrambled eggs to potato salad, tacos to burgers...not french toast though ;). Get me your address sis...I'll whip up a batch and send you a sample.

I remember one party we had where we got some really top quality rib eye and I just presalted it the day before and carefully seared it to medium rare on the grill then topped with a light sprinkle of kosher. Everyone asked what amazing seasoning we had put on it. My reply was "meat! This is what meat is supposed to taste like!" :D

I/we watch a lot of cooking shows. Something I saw a few years agoi on one of the shows featuring a top chef in a top restaurant really shocked me at the time. He took a beautiful NY strip, patted it dry, sprinkled salt and pepper on it and threw it in a hot skillet. It wasn't a "blackened" steak - it was the way they prepared steaks - no grill, just the stove top. Sear both sides real good, then let it finish to desired doneness in the oven. I had done steaks like that before I had any type of grill but I'd sure rather have a grilled steak now!

I like steak cooked both ways. But not only does the wife not eat steak (or very little of it), she would be complaining about the house smelling like cooked steak after I was done if I pan-seared it. And it's not that she's a vegetarian...she loves bacon, but I have to cook it outdoors on the grill because otherwise it makes the house smell like cooked bacon. Go figure. :rolleyes: