Who gives a ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Launier

I went to the pub last night and saw a fat chick dancing on a table.
I said, "Nice legs."

The girl giggled and said, "Do you really think so."

I said, "Definitely! Most tables would have collapsed by now."

When you are over sixty-five who gives a ?

Im glad Im a fat male and not a fat female, you guys are picking on fat chicks too much.

The old double standard, Allen. Guys who can't see their belt buckle without taking off their pants :eek: commenting on women with the same issue.

Sheesh. Give it a rest, guys. It doesn't speak well of you.

Im glad Im a fat male and not a fat female, you guys are picking on fat chicks too much.

The old double standard, Allen. Guys who can't see their belt buckle without taking off their pants :eek: commenting on women with the same issue.

Sheesh. Give it a rest, guys. It doesn't speak well of you.

It's everyday humor! Lighten up! Post a "skinny guy joke" if you want to.

Sorry, Al. The kindness of one's heart is revealed by the word's of the mouth. If it were your wife or daughter with the weight issue, would those remarks be more or less hurtful?

Everyday humor does not need to come at the expense of pain in another. No matter what it takes to see your belt buckle.

Sadly, once again I have learned much today about the hearts of others. For I have been on the receiving end of remarks just like those.

Put me in Carols Camp.

Humor is one of those things that is in the eye of the beholder, but this isn't the local beer joint, or pool hall.

This place is supposed to be welcoming to all people.

Carol is right. Making fun of people of another gender, race, or weight has no place here.

The joke that started this thread is just not funny.

Sorry, Al. The kindness of one's heart is revealed by the word's of the mouth. If it were your wife or daughter with the weight issue, would those remarks be more or less hurtful?

Everyday humor does not need to come at the expense of pain in another. No matter what it takes to see your belt buckle.

Sadly, once again I have learned much today about the hearts of others. For I have been on the receiving end of remarks just like those.

One more point. This place is not an old boys club. This place was put here to avoid that kind of thing.

The off topic humor thing is the one place that gives us the most trouble because humor is so subjective.

In fact, the 'Who Gives a ?' title of this thing could be interpreted to be rubbing up against the CoC.

What I would suggest for anyone who wants to post the next joke is to take a moment before the post it and to think about it before they post.

1) Does this joke denigrate someone of a different race, color, creed, weight. If so, Don't post it.
2) Is this joke intended to offend some one not like me? If so, Don't post it.
3) Does this have anything to do with woodworking? Just saying, it probably doesn't need to be here.

Well the response was not unexpected, yet it would have been more appropriate in a PM rather than on a public forum. My comments below may appear to be sarcastic, but in reality they are the basis for what I’ve been thinking for several months, concluding that FWW is no longer the forum it once was - it’s gotten old!

In regards to the comments on my posting:
Frankly, I’m not at all interested in any lecture from a prima donna who should confine her preaching to “her flock” as I, for one, am not at all interested in her condescending speeches, and I strongly suspect others share this opinion as well. Without going into further detail, leave the preaching for church.

It looks like Brent once again quickly runs to the support of a favored member. And as for “the joke that started this thread is just not funny” comment, apparently there are those that disagree – reference above. Does it follow then that the “Wales” joke was also not funny and unacceptable? Why no comment about that one? Answer: It appears that the member who posted the “Wales” joke was given a heads up & removed the content of his joke to avoid public admonishment.

Further, regarding your additional comments:
1) Does this joke denigrate someone of a different race, color, creed, weight. If so, Don't post it. This posting was not intended as you described; it didn’t single out anyone, it was a joke whose basic content is familiar to many.;
2) Is this joke intended to offend some one not like me? If so, Don't post it. Again, it wasn’t intended to offend anyone!
3) Does this have anything to do with woodworking? Just saying, it probably doesn't need to be here. Then why have an Off-Topic section?

As has been stated before: “if you can’t say it in church, don’t say it”. Yet, it seems some “regulars” are granted license to violate this protocol and can be excluded from these “rules” without public admonishment. An example of this was the recent inclusion of a link in a posting to a provocative web site. This is church acceptable material? Why no criticism on this posting? Selective critiquing demonstrates favoritism which is inconsistent with what is preached and is inconsistent with the presumed tenants of FWW.

Looks like I've worn out my welcome. I will say however that I have learned a bit, especially from Glenn Bradley, whose talents are to be respected by all, and I’ll miss his contributions. Others have posted interesting topics, such as those by Paul Douglas. Guess it’s time to venture forward to enjoy other woodworking sites.

See ya!

Does it follow then that the “Wales” joke was also not funny and unacceptable? Why no comment about that one? Answer: It appears that the member who posted the “Wales” joke was given a heads up & removed the content of his joke to avoid public admonishment.

You sir are incorrect, I saw that the joke I posted was causing a stir, so I removed it, no one gave me a heads up, no one PMed me, I did it on my own.

I've spent many many hours of my life debating these subject here on Family Woodworking when I was a mod. I took my turn at the wheel, I have no interest in doing it again.

I honestly do not know if you ever served on the Mod team here Al....?

Sorry to see you go, really I am.

Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.