Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Camera ??

New Camera ??

I am NOT precisely a photography nut - and I don't really wanna be.

BUT,

I take zillions and zillions of pictures and I get depressed if we go somewhere and I forgot the camera. I have been known to turn around and go back home to get the camera, if it is within reason.

I have a JVC Digital video camera and often times carry both my CHEAP point and shoot Canon AND the JVC Digital Video camera.

I do NOT want an SLR needing to change lenses.

I do want ZOOM capability. I DO want Video capability. I DO want really nice pictures.

I have framed some of my pictures in the past.

I do NOT like being dependent on rechargeable batteries. I - LIKE - being able to walk into a store and getting off the shelf batteries when the camera batteries died. I despise dead rechargeable batteries.

THIS camera - seems to fit the bill for me.

Amazon reviews this camera with great reviews
    Consumer Reports very very nicely

Are there any "camera" people out there with pro's and con's

What do you all think?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t

I think I am gonna POP - on this one

I too lack any camera skills and don't have the urge to acquire them. Anytime you try to make one thing "do it all" you will make compromises on nearly all fronts. That being said, the camera you show is getting a lot of good press from folks wanting a 'point and shoot' format but, with a little better results. At a third the price of a Rebel kit or the equivalent Nikon package, there will be some concessions. I tend to hit the camera forums to see what people who actually know have to say about camera related questions I have. This has been very beneficial even as a visitor. I wish you luck on our common journey; the search for a camera that will get me the pictures I want without me having to learn a new language.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-27-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

check this out.

http://www.dpreview.com/

don't get too lost.

leave crumbs so we can find you.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Carol beat me to it, but I highly recommend DP Review.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I forgot about DP Review.

About 10-12 years ago I was thinking about photograghy as a hobby. I spend a lot of time there as well as Steves - something or another photo place. I bought a Nikon 5000 and a bunch of accessories back then. Of course today that camera is obsolete.

For the past 7-8 years I have been using a REAL LOW end point and shoot - 4X optical zoom and 10 MPXL. Today they are selling for $50-$75

Yep - I know compromise. Not expecting what a high quality SLR does. Just want a real good point and shoot.

I ordered it - I'll let ya know what I think of it next week.

I was president of the Photography Club in high school, and I owned a real SLR. In spite of that, I think most of the known brand cameras of that type are about equivalent. I have a Fuji Finepix, which does excellent work. Fuji was always known for the quality of its lenses, and both Nikon and Canon were top contenders in camera quality. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. With the image stabilisation feature in my camera, which is about four years old now, I can take handheld, clear pictures at full zoom (12x). With the 34x zoom on this camera, you may want to get a monopod to stabilize the camera for distant shots. I have one that I take to baseball games and things. I am thinking of waiting 'til the current generation of cameras go on sale as the new ones arrive, and buying the second-latest version of my camera.

I think the camera you are looking at will be a winner for you.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Thanks Roger.

I do have a tripod - but a monopod sounds like a great thing to try out.

I don't think this camera has a plug in for a remote control, but I still have my remote from my old Nikon. Would be nice.

I like the outdoor scenery stuff - even in winter.

I am getting kinda giddy about it now.

Leo,

If you want to make pictures taken on a mid-level camera look professional, get some good editing software. I recommend Corel Paint Shop Pro. I've been using it for 25 years, in its different iterations. It's powerful, straightforward, and easy to use. I've tried Photoshop and never could get the same results.

Steve

What we think, doesn't matter, if it works for you.

Years back, I was interested in photography, enough so, that I had saved up to buy a F4s. Life happened and that money was the downpayment on my home.
    Now, I use a well liked Panasonic, but don't take enough pictures for the camera I have.

Congrats on the new toy, Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    ...I bought a Nikon 5000 and a bunch of accessories back then. Of course today that camera is obsolete...
    Did you mean the Nikon D5000 digital SLR, or was the Nikon 5000 something different? I have a D5000 and it's not the latest and greatest, but it's far from obsolete. Not as convenient to carry around as the COOLPIX, though.

You want obsolete, lol? I've got a Panasonic digital video camcorder that uses MiniDV tape cassettes. Your new Nikon "still" camera will take better video than my Panasonic "video" camera, and do it with a smaller package at a lower cost.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com