Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link belts for the lathe, do you use them?

Link belts for the lathe, do you use them?

I hope to build the lathe stand today (found a design I liked, that could be put out of the way). I may go with a different one later (as the shop gets reorgainized. The belt that came with the lathe, is a typical 4L belt, but too short for my needs (won't know needed size until built). I was thinking about one of them HF link belts and wondering if anyone uses them on their lathes?

Thanks

I've used link belts for many years on different tools, including my lathe. I haven't used the lathe a lot until recently, but I think the link belt makes it a little smoother.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

None of my lathes have been candidates for link belts, but if yours has pulleys that are the right size, I'd say go for it. I know others (like Bill) who've used them successfully. As an added bonus, they're easy to adjust for length, which sounds like it'd be handy for your application.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

My first lathe was an old Craftsman tube bed lathe, I tuned the lathe up to run fairly well before I upgraded to the DVR, the link belt was one of the best upgrades I made, smoothed things out a lot.

YMMV
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Link belts are good. No thumping if they sit for while. By the way, the link belts from Harbor Freight are a good deal. Reasonable price and actual made in USA product.

Bob

I like my link belts. However some of my machines require specific types of belts and will not take link units (Example: grooved belts for my Delta 46-460 lathe). The link belts do seem to be quieter. They are smoother and they don't get set in their shape if they sit unused for awhile.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Thanks guys. Dead/flat spotting was one of my concerns. (there is reasons I could end up working a bunch more, or go the other way and end up unemployed)

Didn't get to build the stand today, too many errands for others then exhaustion.

Really an old subject. Previous posts have indicated very good results using them. A friend of mine recently acquired an old machinists lathe. One of the belts was bad. Replacing would have required dissassembly of much of the machine, a huge job. Instead he used a link belt, more expensive, but it was quick and easy and the machine runs smoothly and quietly now. And friend is very happy.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Really an old subject. Previous posts have indicated very good results using them. A friend of mine recently acquired an old machinists lathe. One of the belts was bad. Replacing would have required dissassembly of much of the machine, a huge job. Instead he used a link belt, more expensive, but it was quick and easy and the machine runs smoothly and quietly now. And friend is very happy.
    Apologies, I tried the search box, while not logged in (not my computer) and found no results. I don't like having to log in on any computer I can't/don't trust. (I know how bad some software on this thing, drags it down and other issues)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Apologies, I tried the search box, while not logged in (not my computer) and found no results. I don't like having to log in on any computer I can't/don't trust. (I know how bad some software on this thing, drags it down and other issues)
    No apologies needed. This is the Internet. Some questions get repeated. But, I'm guessing Frank is referring to other forums, because I just ran an advanced search here and found virtually no discussion about link belts and lathes, aside from this thread.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com