Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinding and Sharpening Jig

Grinding and Sharpening Jig

I purchased the Tormek BGM-100 and brought in my faithful (though none too bright) assistant to aid in the install. This rig allows you to go from shaping operations on the bench grinder to honing operations on your wet sharpener while maintaining the tool geometry.

Attachment 84347

First my trusty sidekick Igor selects a drill bit or two.

Attachment 84348

After returning to the shop following a brief trip to the bathroom for band-aids and peroxide we got back to work. Igor insisted on showing off his Canadian Woodworker shirt so I appeased him (these fools are easier to work with when they are fed and happy . . . and it takes so little . . . to make them happy that is; they eat like a horse.)

After I finally got Igor out of the way so I could get some work done, the holes were drilled, the tee-nuts were counter bored and I allowed Igor to hold the board so I could get a picture.

Attachment 84349 . Attachment 84350 . Attachment 84351

The BGM-100 sometimes needs to mounted higher than the grinder platform depending on your grinder size or format. I quickly and efficiently withdrew a piece of cherry to use for this purpose from my index of scrap wood . . . this translates to "I dug through the scrap pile in the shed till I found something to use".

Igor once again rudely pushed me out of the way and made a mess of the cherry block by trying to use a hand plane on it . . . Silly Igor, you can't use one of these complicated un-tailed tools.

Attachment 84352

Despite my challenges in working with the mentally deficient, I managed to get things assembled. The TTS-100 is used with the BGM-100 to set the Universal Support (that's German for "rod") to the same relationship with the wheels on each grinding/sharpening tool.

Attachment 84353 . Attachment 84354

Now using the Tormek Multijig SVD-185 you can shape the tool quickly. Then move directly to the wet system and sharpen and hone the profile without having to readjust anything.
    Attachment 84355 . Attachment 84356
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 08-03-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I was just thinking about that accessory this morning. You've convinced me I need to get one, that just looks to good to pass up. Thanks!

LOL!

But you gotta admit the guy is safety conscious. Sound muffs with the hand plane. Priceless!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    LOL!

But you gotta admit the guy is safety conscious. Sound muffs with the hand plane. Priceless!
    His shirt explains it.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Jim, let me ask: I know the TTS 100 gets your bevel set identically on both grinders, but the does larger radius on the Jet make any difference in the finished grind you see on the tool (does it hone the complete bevel)?

Let me toss my 29 cents in...being the "other Jim" Fred. A 6" wheel leaves a big concave in the bottom of a gouge...had one...saw it every time they were sharpened for years. 8" will minimize that in a nice fashion. The concave allows for debris build up and over heating. Additionally...you have no functional bevel to ride...you have a cup. It is not stable or efficient. 8" at minimum, they do a great job...10" is a GOLD standard. This is just my opinion from years of sharpening gouges...others will no doubt have others.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    LOL!

Poor Igor can't stand the "slick, slick, slick" sound of a hand plane. Its like running fingernails down a chalkboard for him. I never have gotten the whole story but, he is terribly insecure about it.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by fred hargis View Post
    Jim, let me ask: I know the TTS 100 gets your bevel set identically on both grinders, but the does larger radius on the Jet make any difference in the finished grind you see on the tool (does it hone the complete bevel)?
    It is indeed a non-zero difference but, in practice this seems to be a non-issue. The entire bevel leading edge gets honed. Marking the entire ground surface with a felt pen, at the extreme sides, there will be a bit of ink left between heel and edge.

If exaggerated, say the difference between a 2" radius wheel and a 10" radius wheel, the larger (honing) wheel does create a sort of micro-bevel while also touching the heel. This same geometry is in play but, to a very minor degree.
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 08-03-2014 at 10:46 PM.
    VOTING MEMBER

Very nice. Igor does good work. I have all the parts to set up the BMG-100, but just haven't gotten around to do it. It'll happen sooner or later after I get reunited with my shop stuff.

A suggestion if I may: I find it's a lot easier to sharpen my gouges if I remove the handles from them first. I have a lot better control of the gouge and the jig without the extra 16" or more hanging off the back end.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    EeeGore dun guuuud

nice set-up
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else