Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peach Salsa

Peach Salsa

You tell me?

Its that time of year again.

2 Peaches chopped
    2 medium Tomatoes chopped
    1/2 Onion diced
    2 spicy peppers minced (Habanero, Serrano or jalapeno in descending heat)
    1 bell diced
    1 tbsp medium chili powder
    1-2 tbsp hot sauce (I like one of the not so vinegary ones for this - Cholula or Valentino or similar)
    Juice of two limes
    good dash of kosher salt

mix and let set for 2-3 hours or until you can't stand it anymore and enjoy.

Hey, Padnah! That don't look like much of a "salsa poll" to me. It don't got good ol' Pace Picante on it!!!

(Sorry, but this old Texan has to have his Pace Picante. I won't even try to make my own!)

Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Hey, Padnah! That don't look like much of a "salsa poll" to me. It don't got good ol' Pace Picante on it!!!
    Sorry Bill, I can't even say that I'd really call that Salsa. Why I heard it was made in Paris! I mean I guess it would be ok on a burrito or something

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ya left out none of the above. Sorry but the only fruit i want in my salsa is tomatos. I dont like sweet. I do make a killer salsa though.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

How can it be any of the choices offered without NM green chile? Habaneros? Serranos? Jalapenos? That's just all burn and no flavor, lol.

I will give you props for not putting cilantro in it, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    How can it be any of the choices offered without NM green chile? Habaneros? Serranos? Jalapenos? That's just all burn and no flavor, lol.

I will give you props for not putting cilantro in it, though.
    If the NM chilis come from Hatch, NM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Hatch is the most famous, but there are other towns/areas that produce good chile. Chimayo has the best (IMO) red chile, and a number of other places have good stuff in both red and green colors.
    :
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I dunno a good Habanero has a lot of flavor. Maybe you just can't handle the buuurnnnn Works really well for some flavor combos anyway in my opinion, right pepper for the mix.

For "normal" salsa I'm with you a good chile has a whole lot of punch. I would argue that a decent dried ancho based powder is also a useful additive for getting that "depth" as well. Equal opportunity for all peppers

I'm also with you on location not being the end all for peppers - the key to getting a good hot chile pepper is making them suffer, no water for to long, maybe a bit much on the flip side, and not to good of soil (a bit alkali and some sulfur). I've grown good ones in BC (yes really! it was a hot spot), WA (ditto) and AZ. They all have a different terroir of course but that's part of the beauty of it all

Don: its actually not really all that sweet, I think you'd be surprised.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I'm with Don on this one...put those peaches to better use
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Well, this brings up some bad memories. Last tuesday I had dinner with my parents and they brought me a small rubbermaid tub of peaches they just picked from on of my sister's trees. I went to eat some on Saturday and open the container to find every single one of them was covered in mold. Guess it's not a good idea to store them in plastic.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault