Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damaged arbor thread - Pic attached

Damaged arbor thread - Pic attached

Finally got down to the innards of the saw and discovered the threads on the arbor where the blade would sit are totally mashed. This old saw wasn't in production long enough to have a chance of finding new parts. So what can be done? I can try to get a picture but things are kind of tight in there until I get enough things apart. Its soaking in Blaster now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Damaged arbor.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	84383
    Last edited by Carol Reed; 08-05-2014 at 05:08 PM. Reason: requested by mods
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Got a thread file?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 4.03.02 PM.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	84371
    Last edited by Charles Hans; 08-04-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

I've got thread chasers from 4-40 up to 3/4" if they can be cleaned up.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Are (were?) they Acme threads? If so, there's little recourse. I'm guessing a loose retaining nut, and a slipping/spinning blade has worn the metal away?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I agree with Jim as to the cause. This is not Acme thread. This is the usual 5/8" table saw arbor, maybe fine thread? Haven't gotten that far yet. I have taps and dies. I'll try to get a picture.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Wow and i thought i like a challenge. My first thought was use a die to try clean up threads and see if it helps. But i would think the arbor has also been hardened so dunno. Just for info if you dont have the die a die that size on its own will set you back quite a bit, i recently priced a tap of 14mm and here it was $40 before tax. So i changed my plan.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    ...This is not Acme thread. This is the usual 5/8" table saw arbor, maybe fine thread?...
    If it's 'fine thread' then it's not the usual TS arbor. Delta, Powermatic, Jet, Grizzly, Shop Fox, and who knows how many others, all use an Acme thread in their contractors saws and cabinet saws. Been a long time since I've owned a Craftsman saw, but as I recall, they used Acme threads, too.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

When you take it apart, can you take it to a machine shop and have a new arbor made? Then you could have Acme threads, too.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Hmm, well I'd take it apart and measure everything to see if there was another arbor that I could make work. Might require replacing the bearings and pulleys as well to make it all go back together but if you can find the right parts it may not be all that bad price wise (less than $100 I think.. if you're lucky anyway).

Failing that, you're basically stuck building up the arbor. The redneck way would be to use devcon (or jb weld) and carefully file to diameter - I wouldn't expect that to last a really long time. Better would be if there was a machine shop that could lay a few beads around it and then mill it back to the correct diameter. That will probably cost more than the saw is worth.

Or find another saw with a dead motor and a good arbor and .. well.. the rest is obvious (and then you'll have another saw body to .. make a drum sander? a router table? an I dunno what..).

Uhm, check your dead saw pile? You've been collecting iron for a reason.
    After using them, I prefer rethreaders/thread chasers and thread files to a die. (may cut more metal off and have issues) I have also done the buy multiple nut trick and use a couple nuts to bring the threads in line, then use a brand new nut when done. (arbor nuts used to be sold at several hardware stores, along with tool brushes) Ace hardware was the one I had better luck seeing that stuff in.
    Check CL, for another dead parts saw.