Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you...

How would you...

join the ends of 2 pieces of 3/4 ply to minimize the seam? I have started on a built in library unit and the base, counter, and top need to be about 12 ft long. My dad suggested scarfing the pieces together using about a 8:1 scarf. What are your suggestions?

Hide it or veneer it. One way to hide it is to make the center section a bit taller, if your client approves.

I'd scarf it, too ... The longer the scarf, the better the hide ... 45 degrees is not ideal, but sometimes that's the only option - unless you can run 'em vertically somehow - safely.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Heres a few ideas(bad or good), bisquits might work. They have ones for plywood. Or maybe a rabbet?(sp) this good make two lips that would hide the joint good.

I have used a rabbet to join pieces of plywood on the same surface. This has worked OK for me -but I hasten to add that I have not had to do this very often.
    Cheers, Frank

Hi Ed,
    The joint is gonna show so show it off.
    I've done some long runs with plywood due to client preference and the joint can't be hidden, unless covered. I have found it quite handsome to inset a piece of 3/4" by 1/4" deep solid stock over the joint after routing a groove for the inlay ( you can make it wider if you like). Since you are doing a 12' piece you can do an 8' and 4' ply with solid inlay at the 4' and 8' distance for aesthetics. Then band the whole piece, or use 4-3' pieces and add three solid inlays, or divide according to the deck top accessories to be used and do a 3', 6', 3' design. Be creative and have fun! Biskits or spline with scab under where possible.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

I agree with Shaz... Whenever presented with a dilemma like this I do my best to enhance the way things come together... Show it off!
    Mini Max Tool Acquisition Mediator.
    "An old man to most kids and a young man to those who are dead."

www.samantics2.com

Shaz & Sam, I may go that route! Has anyone tried these router bits from Rockler? I wonder how well they would work for this type of application.

I remember watching a episode of the router workshop over at thewoodworkingchannel.com where they showed having to join to pieces of paneling together.

They ended up using a straight edge and a flush bit to get perfect edges on both pieces. On camera you could barely see the joint.

A countertop in my parents dining room is 12 feet and was joined with biscuits. You can run your hand over it and not feel it, but you can see it. I wasn't sure I liked it. Then I asked a few people that were over what they thought of the wall unit. They said it was great. I asked them about the seam. They all went, huh? Then I showed it. Most shrugged like, "That isn't supposed to be there?"

Woodworkers are picky and pick up on things that the "client," wouldn't care about.

Now, as a funny conclusion to this, I made a built in for my father. The counter is 10 1/2 feet. I joined the seem with dowels and you can't feel it. You can see it. It's the first thing he picked up on. With a "too bad about the seam."

It's beyond me, but a thought is, use the suggested design feature, but make it symmetrical at both ends. So a 10 foot counter with a joint 24" from both ends with the inlay idea.

Just a thought.